Da Costa

relayer

Explorer
Below is a picture of the boarding house at DaCosta That was taken on 4 April 1907. Here are a few lines about the picture from Paul Schopp, who obviously paid far more attention to the information out at ebay than I did.

"This is a great view of G.H. Day’s Boarding House in Da Costa. Day is standing to the left of the couple, who are Mr. and Mrs. Baker, the proprietors at this place. John Chalmers Da Costa, president of the Camden & Atlantic Railroad, lent his name to this planned development, but the community never really grew much beyond its agricultural roots. On 3 May 1857, the United States Post Office Department established the “Decosta” post office. This postal facility continued to operate until18 August 1893, when it closed. On 28 July 1905, the post office opened under the name “Da Costa” and this office remained open until 31 March 1915, when the Hammonton Post Office assumed the responsibility for the mail at Da Costa."
A little odd looking from Photoshop (thought I did a better job of fixing the color) but still clearer than the original ebay scan.

DaCosta - Boarding House and tenants - 4 April 1907 on back - b.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Great! There is so little written about DaCosta. I wonder if anybody still uses that name? Also, I have a reference to a spung called the "Oasis" in that hamlet, but don't know where it might have been.

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder why hey opened the post office with the one word name, then closed it, and then opened it again with two separate words so to speak.

Thanks Relayer! Nice to see you posting again.

Guy

relayer

Explorer
Guy
You're welcome and thanks for the welcome back. I hope to be around here a bit more than I've been.

SM
I looked at a satellite view on Mapquest (which seems to be a lot better than Google at finding old place names - but that's another post) and don't recall anything obvious. But then I wasn't looking either. The immediate area around the MQ locator looked pretty developed. Perhaps the 1931 flyover...

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Wow, what a cool picture. I'm not sure I ever saw a historical photograph from Da Costa. I figured it was a dot along the railroad that long since vanished along with others like Magnolia near Amatol Junction just a mile or 2 east.