danger in the pines?

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
i hope we're all enjoying the beauty of the winter in the pines! i was going to post this in the pinebarrens general discussion, but for some reason i can't start a new thread there..

anywho, i've always been a lover of camping, and the other day my boyfriend showed some concern for the subject. he said his family was sharing stories they've heard of people camping in the pines and getting killed, mauled, raped, or generally assaulted. he wants to teach me how to use a sword.. which is pretty cool, but i feel safe in the pines..

any thoughts? stories?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
All four terrible things mentioned don't need to have the Pine Barrens as a venue. Chances are you'll be just fine.
Oh, and the sword thing... C'mon. Is he going to school you in Chinese throwing stars as well? Hint, they won't save you from Chiggers.

g.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
i hope we're all enjoying the beauty of the winter in the pines! i was going to post this in the pinebarrens general discussion, but for some reason i can't start a new thread there..

anywho, i've always been a lover of camping, and the other day my boyfriend showed some concern for the subject. he said his family was sharing stories they've heard of people camping in the pines and getting killed, mauled, raped, or generally assaulted. he wants to teach me how to use a sword.. which is pretty cool, but i feel safe in the pines..

any thoughts? stories?

I have been in the big woods my whole life and I haven't been killed, mauled, raped or generally assaulted.
I would ask your boyfriend's family for some newspaper articles or other documentation on alleged incidents in the pines. (Body dumping doesn't count)
I would advise against carrying a sword since you can be locked up for having a deadly weapon with no legitimate reason to be carrying it.
If you would like to carry a weapon, you could attend a hunters education course and obtain a hunting license.
Then, you will be able to carry a loaded gun (outside of the vehicle) wherever you go in the pines for a good 7-8 months out of the year. That is based on the assumption that you will buy deer, turkey, rifle and coyote permits like I do.
I can even legally carry a gun on Sunday (.22 rimfire rifle with shorts) if I am checking my traps.
I really don't think you will want to go to all that trouble.

Use your head and avoid large groups of obviously drunk people gathered around a stuck truck or raging bonfire at 2 in the morning. (Radio from said truck blasting death metal not good either)
You should also avoid dishevelled looking old guys in street clothes that are walking through the woods 7 miles from the nearest tar road.
I would not recommend camping in the backpack only camps (like the Mullica River or Lower Forge sites in Wharton) by yourself because they are not patrolled very well or at all.
The woods are really very safe and I would rather be in these woods than waiting for a subway car underground in center city Philadelphia
Enjoy the pines and all that the natural world has to offer.
Stay happy.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It's unusual even to see another person, other than in a passing vehicle, and unless you are at Hawkins, or Godfreys, or one of the other popular spots.

I agree pretty much completely with the "silly goose" comment above.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Excellent points all around Scott. Sword toting is as you say, frowned upon and we don't have a good reputation back this way regarding body dumping.
All well said.

I am however surprised that given you two get along, you would be unkind regarding Bob. He's not that dishevelled.

g.

Nov 27, 2007
Stockton College
i do not agree with him, he's only been to jersey twice for tom brown's tracking school, and he just worries about my safety.
as for sword toting, it is legal if it's concealed. i usually carry a 4" sheath knife on me, i do not intend on keeping a sword at hand when i go camping and such.
rednek, i also feel much safer in the woods than in the subway! and rarely see many other people when i go out exploring or camping. thank you for the good wishes!

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'll attest to Scotts evaluation of the risks as well. I would, however,
recommend that a young girl such as yourself not go solo into the woods along Mt Misery road north of route 70. At least not after dark.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That's pretty much all my parents did in the late 70's/early 80's. That's also probably the reason I exist.

Well Mr. Stu, truth be told I met my wife at a kegger/bonfire in the pines in 1977.
We started dating in August '77 and most of our courting involved the woods in one way or another. I knew I had a keeper.
I had a couple of street legal 400 enduros during that time period and she bought a KX-100 and cruised the woods right next to me.
We didn't marry until '83 after I finished college and got a decent job.
Last year was 30 years together and this year is our 25th wedding anniversary.
The pines are a great place meet your future wife, after you weed through the axe murderers, drunks and inbreds. :)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
So that's why everybody always avoids me! :D

I thought it was just me. Also, though I didn't meet my wife in the pines, our second "date" was to one of my favorite spots in the pines for a hike. That was 33 years ago this week.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There have been a few times someone or something made me a bit nervous in the pines, But I was mugged twice while growing up in Paterson and had one excitement filled summer working in Central Park during college. I'll take any woods over any city any day.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
he said his family was sharing stories they've heard of people camping in the pines and getting killed, mauled, raped, or generally assaulted. he wants to teach me how to use a sword.. which is pretty cool, but i feel safe in the pines..

any thoughts? stories?

I had a peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich stolen once, and devoured, by a large, mean, stalking tree. Very distressing ...

Bill

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I feel safer walking in the woods than in a suburban area. Narrow, winding trails seem to be just fine. But in the maze of urban sprawl, pedestrians aren't much thought of. Learned that lesson yesterday after hitting my head on a street sign because it was the only area to walk without going into the busy street/mall entrance. Luckily I only scraped my head, if I got injured Stephen Tanger would owe me.:eng101:

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
He sounds like a city slicker, I run into those ppl all the time, they say I am a very brave man to go into the "freaky woods". Esp the women, why is why I cant find a date. NY-Long Island women are like "I aint going in there, it's freaky and the trees dont move at all" :cry:
If he's so worried maybe he should go into the "freaky woods" with you.