Dave's Hole ???

Jersey Devil

Sep 27, 2015
Monmouth County
I was asked by a friend of mine where "Dave's Hole" is. He swears it's in Burlington County.

I think it's by Lake Oswego, but I'm not entirely sure.

Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--JD

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
JD,

'Hole' is an incredibly elastic term in the Pine Barrens. In old usage, it can have the same meaning as hollow, like in Appalachia. Lincoln's descendants at Imlaystown lived at Buckhorn manor along the Buck Hole, a small valley. Equally old is its use to describe an intermittent pond like Bears Hole –a spung with a charcoal camp (https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/munyon-field.10638/page-2#post-129352). Then there are circular strong springs that are called holes like Inskeep's Blue Hole, Dicks Hole (Farr 2002: 52, Haddonfield), and the Bargaintown Blue Hole all along the Long-A-Coming trail.

It will be fun to learn what landform Dave's associated with (valley, spung, spring).

S-M

Last edited:

Jersey Devil

Sep 27, 2015
Monmouth County
Thank you for the reply. I'll ask him about clarifying a little more, and whether he has any other information regarding the general whereabouts of this place he calls "Dave's Hole."
Thanks again for the info.
--JD

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Places with the name "Hole" are actually all over. This one is the Dudley Hole Tract and even though there is a small spung or pond nearby it does not have a "hole" in it. But the area is wet. This is in Medford near the power lines off of Atsion Road.

dudley.jpg

Reactions: Spung-Man

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Places with the name "Hole" are actually all over.
View attachment 6386
Here's my favorite, Vanaman's Thick n' Hole Tract where the ethnic settlement of New Italy began. Several ancient trails converged at the Oasis spung. I believe the settlement's eighteenth century origin lies in naval store production (tar kilning), later becoming a charcoal station. Note the incredible number of spungs present along the Manumuskin on the c.1931 aerial photomosaics. This was my childhood playground as our farm was a head (w/spung) of that river. Coppersister's brother and I explored every trail in the Peaslee Wildlife Management Area. It was a place of much activity during Prohibition.

Screen shot 2015-10-03 at 12.43.01 PM.png
S-M

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Spung Man I played all over that area as well but by the time I found the area I was grown up.I was in my 20's back in the early 90's when I noticed all the vernal ponds/spungs on the topo,didn't have aerials back then so I headed out there,walked every trail I could find and beat back to every pond I could see on the map. I remember a lot of the woods seemed to be cut over in the recent past and were sprouting from oak stumps.Also found a couple Allegheny Ant nests up there as well as large as the ones south of 552.Used to renegade camp at Bennets Mill.Those were the days