Dble Trouble SP cranberry harvest

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
will be held this year. Info at the link.

http://berkeley-nj.patch.com/articl...-park-cranberry-harvest-a-go-for-this-october

111152783.jpg

Sep 2, 2009
Seaside Park
I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Honest Berries while taking pictures of Double Trouble Bogs (north) off of Dover Road last weekend. He was was out there with his son cleaning up the bogs. He was extremely nice and said that he didn't expect all that much for this year given that there had been no maintenance of the bogs. He was also lamenting that none of the younger people want to get involved with cranberry farming.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Because this is state land, I "assume" the harvest can be observed as in years past. Does any one know for certain?

Also, have any dates been announced?

John-

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Because this is state land, I "assume" the harvest can be observed as in years past. Does any one know for certain?

Also, have any dates been announced?

John-

The article in the link has some information. From the park folks, no dates set other than being in October. I stopped by and there are berries ready to be picked in the 2 bogs behind the packing house the article mentiones. They had yet to be flooded. The other bogs are down Rt 530 a bit.

I had the pleasure of meeting the owner of Honest Berries while taking pictures of Double Trouble Bogs (north) off of Dover Road last weekend.

JG, is he local? I could find no information on the company.

Work has started along Cranberry Alley(Rt 563).

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I don't live too far from Double Trouble, and I would like to see the harvest. Also, I was out at Cloverdale and some women were picking the berries from the dry beds.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I find it odd that they aren't showing the dates. I think that people need to watch and is an educational process when they harvest. Don't you agree?

Btw, I write for the patch here in West Deptford from time to time.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
I will keep a close watch since I live within a 20 minute ride to Double Trouble. However, on October 13th I am heading to Dallas for a week or so. If I know anything I will reply to the thread.

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
J.J. White will be having a bus tour of their harvest at Whitesbog this year and the Whitesbog Preservation Trust will have a lecture about the harvest and afterwards you can go in the bog and try to scoop some berries. Call 609-893-4646 for more info.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I saw today the harvest has started along Route 563 just outside of Chatsworth. The workers had the walk behind machines flailing in the water and the sides of the highway where speckled red from the cranberries falling off the trucks. I am not sure if it was Lee's or Haine's berries being harvested.

Reactions: pineywoman

bogger

Oct 5, 2008
From the Double Trouble facebook page: The farmers who just took over maintaining the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble Village think they will have a small harvest in 2-3 weeks. They have a narrow window to harvest the fruit and there may only be 24 or 36 hours notice before hand.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
From the Double Trouble facebook page: The farmers who just took over maintaining the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble Village think they will have a small harvest in 2-3 weeks. They have a narrow window to harvest the fruit and there may only be 24 or 36 hours notice before hand.

Thanks for the heads up.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Unfortunate News

I just contacted DTSP to inquire about the harvest dates, because it should be getting close. Bob said that the new crew was not going to be able to make it happen this year, but will probably be a go for 2013. As in the past, going to watch the harvest will still be possible.

John-