Dble Trouble SP cranberry harvest

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Unfortunate News

I just contacted DTSP to inquire about the harvest dates, because it should be getting close. Bob said that the new crew was not going to be able to make it happen this year, but will probably be a go for 2013. As in the past, going to watch the harvest will still be possible.

John-

That's too bad. I believe the special use permit was for 2012, it was not a lease, so they will probably have to re-apply and pay again next year. There were a lot of berries already ripe last time I stopped by.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
A friend of mine owns a cranberry farm out near Chatsworth. He was on frost duty in the early morning hours last night. That cold front is trying to make its way in early this year. Hopefully, a good crop year for all the folks in NJ.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
PineyPower Facebook page posted today that the farmer that is maintaing the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble is flooding the bogs and moving the equipment in as of now. If they have enough water in the bogs they will start to harvest tomorrow, otherwise they will start on Sunday.

Chris

bogger

Oct 5, 2008
PineyPower Facebook page posted today that the farmer that is maintaing the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble is flooding the bogs and moving the equipment in as of now. If they have enough water in the bogs they will start to harvest tomorrow, otherwise they will start on Sunday.

Chris

From Facebook:
Friends of Double Trouble State Park

3 hours ago

The farmers who are maintaining the cranberry bogs at Double Trouble Village have started moving their harvesting equipment to the village and flooding the bogs. If they have enough water in the bogs by tomorrow they will start harvesting, otherwise they will start harvesting on Sunday. The village cranberry bogs should only take a few days to harvest. The previous farmers would start generally
between 8:30-9:30 in the morning and finish whenever they were done for the day, sometimes as early as 2 pm and sometimes 5 pm, depending on how the harvest goes. Since these bogs were not pollinated in the spring, this will probably be a small harvest. This is not a demonstration or a tour - it is the real deal of farmers doing their harvest. The public is permitted to watch. Use caution around the bogs. Depending on what the farmers are doing at the time, visitors may see bogs being flooded, cranberries being knocked off the vine, floating cranberries being corralled, and cranberries being removed from the bog. There is limited parking in the village parking area - if parking along Pinewald Keswick Road or Double Trouble Road please obey local ordinances and no parking signs. See the map in the "photos" section of this page for bog locations. The farthest is about a mile walk from the village parking area.

Reactions: Hewey

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The yellow bird was sitting idle today along side its sand runway. (Chatsworth)

cropdustersm.jpg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The berries are almost gone. Harvest started Sunday when I went past. I heard it was going on yesterday, maybe even today to finish up.