Decline in crows?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was watching a show on njn last night on ravens in scotland, which was really interesting actually. It made me think how I almost never see crows anymore in camden county. When I was in high school I would see dozens everday in my front and back yard hopping around looking for food, and I would always see dozens in trees migrating throughout the winter. This year and last I have seen very few maybe less then 20. I find it odd that a bird that is a scavenger would be seen less and less around trashed filled neighborhoods especially with all the dead squirrels and deer around. I remember crows squawking being kind of a sound of winter in my backyard, seems unusual not to hear them anymore. But then again red tailed hawks, sharp shinned, cooper hawks, and turkey vultures where never seen as a kid around my neighborhood and now they are becoming somewhat common sights. I guess populations just go in cycles.

Sharp Shinned hawk from last week, hunting my neighbors bird feeder,
IMG_7153.jpg

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
monmouth county is loaded with them. there is really neat flyway evey evening about a half hour before dark. if you get off exit 117 and get on rt 35 south and go a mile or 2 to the pep boys. just park in the lot and wait.there is a stand of woods that they seem to fly to and there are thousands of them. i mean miles of them . they just keep coming some nights.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dragon lives near me and I would have to agree with him that at least in our area they have declined. They would be everywhere around my house and I rarely see them now. Years ago where I worked right near here they would come up to the office door windows and attack themselves and scare the woman in the office. I never see them there when I go by now.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I since did a little research on crows in new jersey and found out there numbers are dropping drastically at bird counts in the state. The reason is possibly west nile virus for which crows act as canaries do in coal mines. I'm sure areas where farms still exist they are still there(atlantic county). But obviously here in camden county there aren't many farms anymore and therefore no crows. Thats interesting Guy you don't see any over there, I use to see many in that area since I spent at least half my life in your area over there.

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
And I think the warming climate has something to do with it. Mosquitoes are proliferating with these warm winters and hot summers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today we noticed that many of the plants at Howardsville are budding, and the briars are much greener than they were last weekend on the hike. There has been a major change in just one week.

Also, in the middle of the deep woods we came upon the guts of a deer that had been cut by a hunter, and usually at this time of year they don't stink. Not this time!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
beside the decline in crows,i cannot recall the last time i saw a pheasant,pennypack park,fairmount park was loaded with them,even on my way to the shore,it has also been years.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
never seen a pheasant, idk if you can find them in the pines or not.. i know there are a crap load of wild turkey though

I see them in the pines, just not native birds, stocked by clubs and the state some do make it through the season but I do not think they breed at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They would be all over my development in the past, but not now. Robins still seem to be in ample supply.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I've seen a number of cardinals recently, and lots of other birds I don't even know the names of. But my area seems to be sort of a bird lovers paradise :)

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
A couple crows have been hanging around the house. I also have seen two hummingbirds and the same cardinal has been hanging around alot...see him everyday.

Jeff

Oct 25, 2006
Seen the first robin this morning,otherwise,pigeons,more pigeons,seagulls,and more seagulls,to see a blue jay or a cardinal would be fantastic.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I haven't seen any crows at my feeders but I don't usually see too many of them anyway. I am seeing a lot of the big grackles, as well as the usual cardinals, chickadees, juncos and finches, but no blue jays. Also this is the first year we had humming birds at our feeders in April. They don't usually show up until around mothers day.