deer contaceptive

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
This method is way beyond common sense:confused:
GonaCon is a single-shot solution whose biggest fault is its impracticality: Every doe must be captured, injected, tagged and then released. Each dose costs $50, sold by the U.S. Department of Agriculture. But manpower costs can push that price tag to $1,000 per deer, by some estimates.

Smart way don't spend any money and just open a new season for deer and you make money by charging for permits.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I never cease to be amazed that people claiming to be “nature lovers” feel that administering contraceptives to deer is a better alternative than the animals being killed and eaten, as would occur in nature with any predator other than humans. I guess there’s a difference between being a nature lover and actually liking how nature really works. Even on tracts of land that are too small or urbanized to safely conduct public hunts, I would question the cost and overall philosophy of using contraceptives. We have to decide if these populations are going to be managed as wild animals or domestic ones. I pity our society if the day comes when the wildlife of New Jersey become as micromanaged as animals in a zoo or farm are.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's all a government plot to control populations. First its the deer, if it works, then the bear, if that works the next step will be RC tiger mosquitos, (hey, they already have military war drones) carrying a dose for us humans. We'd never know it.

Just sayin'.... :D

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
What is worse is that figure of one thousand dollars will double or even triple. GonaCon is roughly eighty-eight percent effective the first year and less than fifty percent effective the second year. The deer will have to be inoculated more than once during their lifetime. I say, let the hunters harvest more and lengthen the seasons. It would mean more jerky for me to make.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It's all a government plot to control populations. First its the deer, if it works, then the bear, if that works the next step will be RC tiger mosquitos, (hey, they already have military war drones) carrying a dose for us humans. We'd never know it.

Just sayin'.... :D

A dose for humans? And the bad part of that would be.............?;)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't particuarly like some ways that nature has myself but they work.Never really got into hunting because I don't particuarly enjoy killin but it's the way things be,for now anyway.If I gits hungry enough I know how to do it and won't have a problem.Some folks definitely need to do it since our predator population is no longer up to the task.

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
How about this......we allow sporting goods stores to sell tranquilizer guns and darts; the kind you see being used on the Discovery channel to study animals. The darts are loaded with the deer contraceptive. Hunters buy the equipment and are permitted to shoot all the does they want with no closed season. It would become a new sport. It's a win-win situation with the costs being carried by the participating hunters. The stores or the state could conduct safety courses on the use of the guns.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
How about this......we allow sporting goods stores to sell tranquilizer guns and darts; the kind you see being used on the Discovery channel to study animals. The darts are loaded with the deer contraceptive. Hunters buy the equipment and are permitted to shoot all the does they want with no closed season. It would become a new sport. It's a win-win situation with the costs being carried by the participating hunters. The stores or the state could conduct safety courses on the use of the guns.
Why should the hunters pay.This whole thing is Just plain DUM! Another thing, there is enough chemicals in wildlife! Maybe we should use this on people instead! If we use it on people that's less cars and they wont be building houses in the wild.Less people better Earth:)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor

The problem with this (one of them, actually) is the misconception that hunting is all about shooting things. Most hunters hunt for the same reason they and others fish, clam, crab or grow their own vegetables. It involves a sense of self sufficiency and closeness to the ways of nature. With the exception of a minority, few would find satisfaction in placing a dart in a deer’s rear end and watching it prance off. That’s not what the sport is all about.

Reactions: dogg57

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
The problem with this (one of them, actually) is the misconception that hunting is all about shooting things. Most hunters hunt for the same reason they and others fish, clam, crab or grow their own vegetables. It involves a sense of self sufficiency and closeness to the ways of nature. With the exception of a minority, few would find satisfaction in placing a dart in a deer’s rear end and watching it prance off. That’s not what the sport is all about.
I understand...and I have nothing against hunting. Maybe my statement of "new sport" is inappropriate; however, hunters might be able to make a contribution to wildlife management in addition to "culling" by shooting with a contraceptive dart; especially in the off season.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Would you want your family eating the meat with this drug in it?.Just because people cant drive and have there plants eaten by the deer at there rich homes build in the pines. I dont agree at all with this drug

scubabruce

Scout
Jul 1, 2011
ATCO, NJ
Would you want your family eating the meat with this drug in it?.Just because people cant drive and have there plants eaten by the deer at there rich homes build in the pines. I dont agree at all with this drug

Because cars kill more deer than hunters. Hunting isn't the solution to deer over population - even extending the season isn't going to solve the problem. So it's going to take something else in addition to hunting.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I believe that deer were completely eradicated in New Jersey before 1900. The only reason we have them now is due to a program of re-stocking. I'm with 46'er... they could certainly be eliminated again if that's what the public wants. In another thread I asked what positive environmental impact deer have and nobody had an answer. The negatives are clear... spread of deer ticks/lyme disease, auto accidents, crop damage, destruction of cedar forests....

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
The reason no answer was given is that none is deserved. Why would a native species have to justify its existence to humans? If you were to extend the weighing of positives and negatives of a specie's presence to humans, we would not fare well.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The reason we have so many deer in New Jersey is a simple one: 1) There are no natural predators to keep the population in check and 2) The population has thrived on introduced food sources. Like or not, Whitetail deer are abundant in New Jersey and we have to intervene one way or another to keep the numbers of the animals under control. The way it will be done will never satisfy all of us, but it will be done. If not, expect more disease outbreaks, such as EHD and expect more damage from grazing. I would just like to see it accomplished in a thoughtful way that is inexpensive and efficient. The numbers aren't problems through out the state, just in certain areas. Granted we are the most densely populated state and encroachment is part of the issue. Extend the hunting season and increase the number of tags for the hunters in these areas. Do this for a few years and the numbers will drop.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm with 46'er... they could certainly be eliminated again if that's what the public wants.

Ya musta missed the roll of the eyes in that post. :eek:

F&W really does need to simplify the code for deer hunting. Has anyone taken a look at it lately? Simply amazing.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2011/regsets11-12.pdf

To go along with this;

deer_zone_map.jpg