Deet Does Work. ...on Mosquitoes

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea, not something I would be interested in doing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I would think a rational person would see the results in about 3 seconds :rolleyes: That guy is nutz.

Since DEET destroys plastic's, I never use it. Lots of less destructive stuff around.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogg57

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
When I was learning to raise mosquitoes in the lab, they taught me to feed them by sticking my arm in the cage, but recommended I wear a glove. I quickly came up with an alternative feeding method that did not involve my arm. Necessity breeds creativity.

Reactions: 46er and Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
And $1000 camera equipment, car steering wheels, eyeglasses/sunglasses and anything else made of the miracle product 'plastic'.

It’s not just plastic. The other day I was out in the woods playing my guitar and noticed it was sticking to my shirt. I had sprayed the shirt with Deep Woods Off a few hours earlier and thought it wouldn’t be a problem. But the deet affected the nitrocellulose lacquer on the vintage guitar and made it sticky. Immediate attempts to clean it off were just making it worse so I’m waiting a few days and will try again. Will probably have to use some of the super fine 5000 grit automotive sandpaper and then buff - unless the lacquer has become permanently gummy.

[edit] Just looked at the guitar again and the lacquer has hardened and the cloudy part looked much better. Cleaned it with a special product designed for these old finishes (Virtuoso) and all is well again. Phew, got off easy this time! :)

Last edited:
T

Toothy Critter

It’s not just plastic. The other day I was out in the woods playing my guitar and noticed it was sticking to my shirt. I had sprayed the shirt with Deep Woods Off a few hours earlier and thought it wouldn’t be a problem. But the deet affected the nitrocellulose lacquer on the vintage guitar and made it sticky. Immediate attempts to clean it off were just making it worse so I’m waiting a few days and will try again. Will probably have to use some of the super fine 5000 grit automotive sandpaper and then buff - unless the lacquer has become permanently gummy.

[edit] Just looked at the guitar again and the lacquer has hardened and the cloudy part looked much better. Cleaned it with a special product designed for these old finishes (Virtuoso) and all is well again. Phew, got off easy this time! :)

What kind of guitar is it ??

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
1965 Gibson J-50. Not sure how relevant that is however, just about all high quality acoustic guitars still use nitrocellulose finishes today.

T

Toothy Critter

1965 Gibson J-50. Not sure how relevant that is however, just about all high quality acoustic guitars still use nitrocellulose finishes today.

Very Relevant to this post. Considering how much that banjo is worth it raises alarm for me I also have expensive guitars that I play outside with bug spray on. Never knew it might be harmful to the finish. Anyone with expensive ANYTHING should be aware of what Deet could do. As you and 46'er can attest to. Thanks for sharing that, I will be very careful in the future

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It’s not just plastic.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig122

DEET will damage plastic materials, so do not apply DEET formulations on or near plastics, acetate, rayon, Spandex, synthetic fabrics (other than nylon), furniture finishes, leather, watch crystals, and painted or varnished surfaces. Plastic glass frames and goggles should be protected from DEET applications. Car finishes and interiors also may be damaged by DEET. It will not damage nylon, cotton, or wool fabrics.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Considering how much that banjo is worth

I'm sure you're just joking, but for those who don't know... the J-50 ain't no banjo! :D

65j50-7.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I didn't take any photos but two weeks ago I opened the overhead radio cabinet on my boat to get a chart out of it and found a disaster. I had a can of CRC Insect Repellant that a friend of mine gave me from PSE&G work truck a few years ago. It contained 25% DEET.

The can started leaking without my knowledge and it ate a good portion of my VHF microphone housing and most of the shielding on the microphone cord. It also ate through a freezer bag that I kept my spare fuses and bulbs in and it ate most of the packages within. The VHF is working but I am not trusting the cord without the shielding. I can't get the goo off and I am going to have to empty everything out and soap it.

The VHF radio is an Apelco which was Raytheon's poorman's line of marine electronics. The radio has been flawless for the last 24 seasons and I really don't want to get rid of it. I am going to start searching eBay for a microphone.

I think I'll get some of that Woodsman's Fly Dope !

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I am going to start searching eBay for a microphone

Once DEET gets to destroying something, it won't be salvageable. It just gets worse over time.

You may want to check out Raymarine as they bought Raytheon recreational marine back in 2001. Raymarine has a customers forum.

Avon SSS Expedition strength is the best stuff I have found. Even works against Greenheads :eek: