Delaware Bay Shore

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro & I spent the past Saturday and Sunday investigating every side road we could find that lead to the Delaware Bay shore between Bivalve and the PSEG power plant.
We saw a hundred or more egrets clustered on the railings of the boardwalk at the end of Strawberry Ave. in Port Norris, thousands of tree swallows on the power lines leading out to Sea Breeze, an opportunity to photograph an osprey with a fish in its wicked talons from the bottom of the pole he was standing on in the marsh at Sea Breeze, an adult bald eagle sitting in a tree near Stow Creek, species of grasses and other plants we identified for the first time (thanks Russell Juelg for your botany course and persistence on the graminoids).
No traffic, virtually no one there except many fisherfolk on bridges and in out-of-the-way places with water access.
The elimination of houses and destruction of the sea wall at the south side of Sea Breeze was shocking evidence of Sandy’s power.
Pictures to follow after Ro sorts them out and applies labels.
What an interesting area - we marked several places we gotta revisit and hike.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Glad you enjoyed the area. Its one of the best. But FYI, Sandy had nothing to do with Seabreeze - the town was razed long before that storm came along. I was actually hoping Sandy would turn in into a chain of islands...

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
We were told by a friend who has a summer trailer at Fortesque (neat bumper sticker: 4TSQ) that Sandy did the damage. But the almost complete obliteration of the houses made me wonder. There are a couple or three houses, somewhat damaged, still there at the end of the road, but look abandoned, with a faded American flag in front of one. There;s a group of almost a dozen houses to the north about a half mile, served by a shell lane marked "Private Road" that branches off the paved road. They look to be still occupied. The seawall does look storm damaged. Ro took pix which will be posted when she's thru sorting and labeling them (took 500+ over the weekend).

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Many, MANY thanks, dogg57, really enjoyed reading the thread and looking at the pictures, especially in the context of what we saw a few days ago. Also, being educated on the history of the place. Sad, too, rough on those who lived or vacationed there. Kinda know the feeling, we had to move out last October of the place we built 30 years ago to be our retirement home, left a community we had become a part of. That turned out far better than it looked like at the time; hopefully, maybe the same happened to the Sea Breeze folks.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Sea Breeze 31 Aug 2013:
1262614_10201949224921905_1545510562_o-1.jpg
1262614_10201949224921905_1545510562_o-1

1262614_10201949224921905_1545510562_o-1

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Sorry, guys, for the duplicates - I'm still learning how to (and how NOT to) post pix here.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Nice, Johnny. I was at Sea Breeze the same day ... when the birds were wired by the hundreds. That was the one and only time I've witnessed this!

I take my dogs to Sea Breeze at least once a week, and continue to keep a bit of a photo record of the area. SB is close by for me. It's a nice place to run the pups, as the area contains them.

One person still lives on the non-private road in Sea Breeze. I'd like to talk to him someday.

Sandy DID take quite a toll on the Breeze. My favorite structure there (the Marine shack) vanished with the storm.
Another major structure was swallowed up as well. Sandy also wreaked havoc on the retaining wall.

There is a slow flattening process going on in regard to Beach Ave.; a few more major storms (or more slowly, if not) and it'll be a lot like Moore's Beach now ... or basically no beach. I see subtle changes with each visit.

I thought for sure Sandy had done in the houses located in area to the north connected to via the private road. Much damage was done. But a few of the houses, at least, were restored. I doubt the folks there can take many more hits.

It seems all the bay communities are counting out time ...

Thanks for your photos.