DEP evaluating pay to access WMAs

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
From the wording in the article and the term 'public', I think they are looking at what folks are using the WMA's for, other than hunting/fishing; which suggests a hunting/fishing license would get entry and others would be required to get a permit/pass similar to the state park pass. Just a guess.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Virginia does this now, and it has made me re-consider where I ramble in VA. By way of perspective, VA WMA's total a little over 200,000 acres. According to the article, much smaller NJ comes in at almost 350,000 acres. At least in my neck 'o the woods many of my haunts have been acquired by WMA's, at the expense of local tax rolls to the point where some municipalities are over half public land. If they are going to charge me to wander where I always used to, I'd like to see some of the funds get returned to the local municipalities.
Or maybe they could start charging tolls to drive on sand roads in the pines!:confused:

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Or maybe they could start charging tolls to drive on sand roads in the pines!:confused:

That may be a lot closer than you think. The Transportation Secretary proposed this several years ago in fact - do a google search for "Vehicle Miles Driven Tax". The administration was quick to shoot down the idea, but there were many supporters, like the Washington Post for example: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/22/AR2009022201651.html

This would make it easy for them to charge the people who drive on these roads, and they could even mail you a ticket if you went into a forbidden area. You could make a good argument that this is "fair", but it sure isn't the world I want to live in. ;)

Last edited:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Remember this document?

From: Wharton Superintendent [wharton.superintendent@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 1:51 PM
To: Thomas Gerber; Shawn Judy; Samuel Moore
Cc: Michael Achey
Subject: Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan
Attachments: Motor Vehicle Permit Info and Application.pdf; WhartonMotorizedPermit.jpg;
MotorizedAccessSign.jpg
FYI –
More info about the (free) annual permit that will be required to drive in the forest.
Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan->MotorizedAccessSign.jpg
Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan->WhartonMotorizedPermit.jpg
BACKGROUND
Wharton State Forest maintains a Motorized Access Plan, or M.A.P., that designates routes within the Forest
that are open for motorized vehicle access. These designations have been identified on a M.A.P. It is prohibited
to operate a motorized vehicle within the boundaries of Wharton State Forest other than in accordance with
these designations. It is the responsibility of the operator to remain on approved, designated routes.
REQUIREMENTS FOR VEHICLES IN THE FOREST
Vehicles must be properly registered, insured and operated by a licensed driver. No all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are
allowed. Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended, and may be necessary on some routes.
A Motorized Vehicle Permit, or M.V.P., decal must be properly displayed on the permitted vehicle as it travels within the
Forest. Free annual permits may be obtained at either the Batsto or Atsion Offices.
Affix the annual decals to the drivers’ side of the front and rear bumpers PRIOR to entering the Forest.
Permitted vehicles must remain on approved routes within the Forest. The M.A.P. indicates where visitors are allowed to
drive. There is no physical identification of routes throughout the Forest. In other words, it is the driver’s responsibility to
drive on the routes depicted on the M.A.P. Operators who deviate from the approved routes are subject to summonses and
fines.
Wharton State Forest
Motorized Vehicle Permit Information
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT FOR A MOTORIZED VEHICLE PERMIT
Carrying the equipment listed is recommended whenever the permitted vehicle is in the Forest.
6) Flashlight
7) Fire extinguisher
8) Auto first aid kit
9) Litter/trash bag
10) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel
11) A current Motorized Access Plan
(M.A.P.)
1) Tire gauge
2) A functional spare tire
3) Workable jack & board/support for jack
in sand (minimum size: 3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in.
plywood square)
4) Tow chain, tow strap or snatch line
5) Shovel
NJDEP * Division of Parks and Forestry * State Park Service
Please Print Calendar Year___________
Vehicle License Plate No. _______________________ State ______ Telephone No. _________________
Vehicle Make ___________________ Model ________________ Year ______ Color _______________
Name of Applicant _________________________________________________________________________
Driver License (State and Number) ____________________________________________________________
Address __________________________________________________________________________________
City ___________________________________________ State ______________ ZIP _______________
1. Only one application for each licensed vehicle shall be accepted.
2. The applicant shall sign the application. Permits are not transferable. Applicant shall be responsible for the actions of
any driver operating the permitted vehicle in the Forest.
3. Permit decals shall be securely applied on the driver’s side of the front and rear bumpers so as to be clearly visible.
4. Requests for replacement decals shall be accompanied by a paid receipt and both of the “old” decals, regardless of
condition.
5. Permit is valid from January 1st to December 31st, inclusive.
6. Vehicles must remain on approved, designated routes at all times.
7. Applicant shall be liable for any damage to persons or property resulting from the use of his/her vehicle within the
Forest.
8. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Violations of Forest rules and regulations shall be cause for permit privileges to be
suspended or revoked.
9. Access to the Forest is permitted dawn until dusk.
10. The maximum speed limit on designated routes is 20 miles per hour.
11. The applicant, by use of this permit, agrees to comply with all park rules and regulations and shall be responsible for
full compliance with these rules and regulations for himself/herself and for the conduct of all vehicle occupants.
Wharton State Forest
Motorized Vehicle Permit Application
NJDEP * Division of Parks

Attachments

• Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 332
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Remember this document?

From: Wharton Superintendent [wharton.superintendent@comcast.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2015 1:51 PM
To: Thomas Gerber; Shawn Judy; Samuel Moore
Cc: Michael Achey
Subject: Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan
Attachments: Motor Vehicle Permit Info and Application.pdf; WhartonMotorizedPermit.jpg;
MotorizedAccessSign.jpg
FYI –
More info about the (free) annual permit that will be required to drive in the forest.
Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan->MotorizedAccessSign.jpg
Permit info for the Motorized Access Plan->WhartonMotorizedPermit.jpg
BACKGROUND
Wharton State Forest maintains a Motorized Access Plan, or M.A.P., that designates routes within the Forest
that are open for motorized vehicle access. These designations have been identified on a M.A.P. It is prohibited
to operate a motorized vehicle within the boundaries of Wharton State Forest other than in accordance with
these designations. It is the responsibility of the operator to remain on approved, designated routes.
REQUIREMENTS FOR VEHICLES IN THE FOREST
Vehicles must be properly registered, insured and operated by a licensed driver. No all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are
allowed. Four wheel drive vehicles are recommended, and may be necessary on some routes.
A Motorized Vehicle Permit, or M.V.P., decal must be properly displayed on the permitted vehicle as it travels within the
Forest. Free annual permits may be obtained at either the Batsto or Atsion Offices.
Affix the annual decals to the drivers’ side of the front and rear bumpers PRIOR to entering the Forest.
Permitted vehicles must remain on approved routes within the Forest. The M.A.P. indicates where visitors are allowed to
drive. There is no physical identification of routes throughout the Forest. In other words, it is the driver’s responsibility to
drive on the routes depicted on the M.A.P. Operators who deviate from the approved routes are subject to summonses and
fines.
Wharton State Forest
Motorized Vehicle Permit Information
RECOMMENDED EQUIPMENT FOR A MOTORIZED VEHICLE PERMIT
Carrying the equipment listed is recommended whenever the permitted vehicle is in the Forest.
6) Flashlight
7) Fire extinguisher
8) Auto first aid kit
9) Litter/trash bag
10) Minimum of 1/4 tank of fuel
11) A current Motorized Access Plan
(M.A.P.)
1) Tire gauge
2) A functional spare tire
3) Workable jack & board/support for jack
in sand (minimum size: 3/4 in. x 12 x 12 in.
plywood square)
4) Tow chain, tow strap or snatch line
5) Shovel
NJDEP * Division of Parks and Forestry * State Park Service
Please Print Calendar Year___________
Vehicle License Plate No. _______________________ State ______ Telephone No. _________________
Vehicle Make ___________________ Model ________________ Year ______ Color _______________
Name of Applicant _________________________________________________________________________
Driver License (State and Number) ____________________________________________________________
Address __________________________________________________________________________________
City ___________________________________________ State ______________ ZIP _______________
1. Only one application for each licensed vehicle shall be accepted.
2. The applicant shall sign the application. Permits are not transferable. Applicant shall be responsible for the actions of
any driver operating the permitted vehicle in the Forest.
3. Permit decals shall be securely applied on the driver’s side of the front and rear bumpers so as to be clearly visible.
4. Requests for replacement decals shall be accompanied by a paid receipt and both of the “old” decals, regardless of
condition.
5. Permit is valid from January 1st to December 31st, inclusive.
6. Vehicles must remain on approved, designated routes at all times.
7. Applicant shall be liable for any damage to persons or property resulting from the use of his/her vehicle within the
Forest.
8. Alcoholic beverages are prohibited. Violations of Forest rules and regulations shall be cause for permit privileges to be
suspended or revoked.
9. Access to the Forest is permitted dawn until dusk.
10. The maximum speed limit on designated routes is 20 miles per hour.
11. The applicant, by use of this permit, agrees to comply with all park rules and regulations and shall be responsible for
full compliance with these rules and regulations for himself/herself and for the conduct of all vehicle occupants.
Wharton State Forest
Motorized Vehicle Permit Application
NJDEP * Division of Parks
Thanks for posting. Interesting email. I was out briefly today hiking the now closed section of East Stokes road from Hampton Gate to the Railroad. That road if its to be reopened needs significant work to drain and fill five substantive water holes in the road. Dual Sport Bikes are continuing to use it as are at least one truck with oversized tires based on fresh tracks. They are making go arounds for the larger puddles carving very deep mud/sand tracks into the woods. Mark Texel indicates $100,000 escrowed for road repair but close to one million in deferred maintenance projects. If I had to pay a $50 yearly permit for road maintenance and additional enforcement I would consider that.............

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
There is no way the DEP would implement a policy that would discourage people from accessing public lands :siren:
There's already an entrance fee to drive into some of the state's parks.......sometimes I'll pay to get in, sometimes I turn around. $5 for a van with 8 people in it and $5 for a motorcycle with one rider.

tsqurd

Explorer
Jul 29, 2015
South Jersey
Regarding the continued use of E. Stokes Rd, lets be honest, while the signage might be enough for the park police to get a fine to stick, I don't think it's adequate if the intention is to truly notify a person just out exploring the roads that the area is closed. There are a lot of signs hanging out there - doubt many people stop to read each one of them. I don't know, I haven't been been by that area recently, maybe there is more notification that what I've seen in the pictures here, but if there isn't I can understand why people still are going down that way.

Yes, there are some fees currently, but parks are different then forests which are different from WMAs. Parks offer more amenities (ex. lifeguards) then a forest. Parks also seem to be more contained and they are generally gated too. The forests are much larger, with many roads passing through them. I don't think I could support, nor would it be practical to require a fee for merely traversing a public road that runs through a state forest. Though it could be a real revenue raiser if something like that were to pass as the police could just sit on 206 an issue tickets 24 hours a day. Kidding aside, a fee to park a vehicle within the forest might be more practical, but not sure how I would feel about that.

In any case, the article is specific to WMAs, yet a different animal, which already use proceeds from hunting and fishing license to fund 100% of the operational funding. The hunting and fishing licenses also provide a significant portion of the funding purchase the land. I also believe there is also already a fee to use boat ramps on WMA land and well as a fee to ride horses. I am not sure why there would be a need for yet another fee. Over the years the WMAs have been suffering from scope creep. Originally the WMAs were dedicated hunting and fishing lands but have evolved to include a host of activities. The primary focus of the WMAs should be hunting and fishing. Others should be allowed to use the WMAs, but creating more users fees for more uses will further marginalize the sportsmen for which the lands were originally envisioned.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
If the fee to use a WMA is in the form of the purchase of a hunting or fishing license it will widen the divide that already exists between those that hunt and fish and those that oppose hunting and fishing. Perhaps the State could come up with a "Habitat Stamp" to raise the funds they (inject sarcasm) so desperately need. The stamp would change every year, would be collectible and the image could be used on T shirts and coffee mugs. Of course, you wouldn't need the stamp if you possess a license.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Given how WMA's have, and continue to be funded, I doubt there would be any successful effort instituting a use fee for WMA's, unless the public approves.

From the F&W site;
Initially, the purchase of lands for the Wildlife Management Area System was funded entirely from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses. In 1961, the first of several Green Acres bond issues was approved, enabling the general public to participate in the development of the system. Approximately half of the present system was purchased through the Green Acres bond issues. Operational funding is provided entirely by hunters and anglers. Capital projects such as boat ramps, dams and parking lots are usually funded through combinations of Federal Aid (funds from excise taxes on sporting equipment), Green Acres and General Fund Capital appropriations.

Through the years, particularly with the infusion of Green Acres monies since 1961, the mission of the Wildlife Management Area System gradually broadened from "Public Shooting and Fishing Grounds" to areas where fish and wildlife habitat is protected and enhanced, while providing a variety of compatible recreational and educational opportunities.
The number of people in search of wildlife-oriented recreational opportunities has grown significantly in the last 40 years as shown by the National Survey of Fishing, Hunting and Wildlife-Associated Recreation, conducted every five years by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. In New Jersey, the 2011 National Survey found that 794,000 people hunted fished, and more than 2,400,000 people participated in other wildlife-oriented recreational activities (bird feeding, wildlife observation, photography, etc.). The survey includes only people 16 years of age and older.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/greenacres/mission.html

There is no boat ramp fee if in possession of a hunting/fishing license or 70 years of age.

Boat Ramp Maintenance Permits

Any vehicle used to transport or launch a vessel or water conveyance on the following WMAs must have affixed to the lower corner of the driver’s side rear window a Boat Ramp Maintenance Permit or a photocopy of a current hunting, fishing or trapping license showing the Conservation ID Number (CID#). Identifying information other than the CID# may be blacked out to protect your identity. Boat Ramp Maintenance Permits may be purchased for a fee of $15.00 from any license agent or the Division's license Web site (under "Wildlife Management Area Use Permits" after logging in and selecting to make a purchase).
New Jersey residents 70 years and older are not required to obtain a boat ramp maintenance permit and need no license, but must affix to their window proof of age, such as a former license displaying your date of birth.
1. Round Valley Reservoir, Angler Access
2. Assunpink WMA, Assunpink Lake
3. Assunpink WMA, Stone Tavern Lake
4. Assunpink WMA, Rising Sun Lake
5. Dennis Creek WMA, Dennis Creek
6. Tuckahoe WMA, Tuckahoe River
7. Mad Horse Creek WMA, Mad Horse Creek
8. Union Lake WMA, Union Lake
9. Menantico Ponds WMA, Menantico Ponds
10. Prospertown Lake WMA, Prospertown Lake

Last edited:

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I don't know how they'd implement this. There's multiple ways to access WMAs in the Pines, and there's no "WMA Office" nearby where you could even go buy a permit. Unless they're going to put a toll plaza at every entrance this doesn't seem likely to happen.

That's not to say I wouldn't pay to access a place like Wharton (although it'd have the same problems as above) however I would only pay if that money went 100% towards road maintenance and enforcement of Wharton and not glommed up by people in Trenton for some other project.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't know how they'd implement this.

I don't see why it would be hard to implement. Just pass a law that says you must have a permit to use the forests and/or WMA's. Then if you are found without one, you would be subject to a fine. Now, enforcing the law would be another matter… ;)

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I know there are some folks who will disagree with this, but I think it makes sense to put limits on the size and/or types of tires used in the woods. When reaching a deep puddle, most vehicles will be forced to turn around (no big deal in most cases). But trucks with huge mud lugger tires can probably make it thru and in doing so only make the hole deeper and further destroying the road. I remember when chains were often used in the winter around here, but due to the damage they can do to the roads they were banned. Seems like the same approach should apply here.

Reactions: woodjin

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I know there are some folks who will disagree with this, but I think it makes sense to put limits on the size and/or types of tires used in the woods. When reaching a deep puddle, most vehicles will be forced to turn around (no big deal in most cases). But trucks with huge mud lugger tires can probably make it thru and in doing so only make the hole deeper and further destroying the road. I remember when chains were often used in the winter around here, but due to the damage they can do to the roads they were banned. Seems like the same approach should apply here.

I agree!!

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't know how they'd implement this. There's multiple ways to access WMAs in the Pines, and there's no "WMA Office" nearby where you could even go buy a permit. Unless they're going to put a toll plaza at every entrance this doesn't seem likely to happen.

That's not to say I wouldn't pay to access a place like Wharton (although it'd have the same problems as above) however I would only pay if that money went 100% towards road maintenance and enforcement of Wharton and not glommed up by people in Trenton for some other project.

I would guess it would be an annual permit, and could be sold online as the hunt/fish licenses/permits are, as well as in person as the park pass is now. The beach buggy pass is annual or 3 days, they could also do that. The structure is already in place. I doubt you'll see the 100%, or any %, the state parks get 0% from entrance/parking fee's and some of them are in really, really, really bad shape. Remember that ballot question folks got fooled into passing?