Digging at corner of Tuckerton and Oakshade Road

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
I noticed the other day that someone has been digging at the corner of Tuckerton and Oakshade Road in Shamong. That area used to be called Flyatt and is where the Half Moon & Seven Stars Tavern was located. It looks like someone has dug up the cellar hole and has removed some of the bricks. There were four no tresspassing signs posted right next to where the digging had been done.

I'm not sure who owns that property and I wonder if the owner is doing this him/herself or if this is was performed by a professional? Possible archaeological dig? I doubt it but who knows. I hope some yahoo didn't just go in there to dig out the bricks and the owner was forced to post the no tresspassing signs.

I will ask around to see if I can findout more information.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Someone recently conducted an archeological dig over here on Egg Harbor Rd in Turnersville. Pretty neat stuff......a few cellar holes & a well, right at the edge of the road.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
If my memory serves me correctly, in the book Brotherton by George Flemming, he stated that a dig was performed at Flyatt. I will have to find my copy and take a look.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
stagecoach

there digging up an old stagecoach from what im told i have a few friends that live locally and know who owns that property