Digital Camera Advice Wanted!

I'm new 'round here, but thought I'd jump right into this topic: I've been taking nature photos for years, and even used to develop my own b&w's. Sadly, the digital age has made me forget most of what I once knew. I am on my 2nd digital in 11 years; although I never thought I'd buy the brand, it's a Kodak 7440 and I do enjoy it. It's a nice point and shoot with some good features, such as the close-up and landscape options I just discovered recently while shooting flowers and "odes"! Before that, I had the same problem with focusing that I read about in another post, and still have it if every time I forget to switch over!

My question is: I'm considering a new camera but can't spend a lot. I've got my eye on yet another Kodak - a V1233, which is 12MP with a 3X optical zoom, running about $250. I don't like digital zooms, so don't care about that. Has anyone tried this camera? I'm thinking that with 12MP, I can crop a photo way down and still have lots of clarity. Any opinions?

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I'm new 'round here, but thought I'd jump right into this topic: I've been taking nature photos for years, and even used to develop my own b&w's. Sadly, the digital age has made me forget most of what I once knew. I am on my 2nd digital in 11 years; although I never thought I'd buy the brand, it's a Kodak 7440 and I do enjoy it. It's a nice point and shoot with some good features, such as the close-up and landscape options I just discovered recently while shooting flowers and "odes"! Before that, I had the same problem with focusing that I read about in another post, and still have it if every time I forget to switch over!

My question is: I'm considering a new camera but can't spend a lot. I've got my eye on yet another Kodak - a V1233, which is 12MP with a 3X optical zoom, running about $250. I don't like digital zooms, so don't care about that. Has anyone tried this camera? I'm thinking that with 12MP, I can crop a photo way down and still have lots of clarity. Any opinions?

I upgraded from a point-and-shoot to a digital slr (Canon Rebel XT), which is a costly way to go. But by doing so, the camera took me back to my old slr days in a creative sense and found the reward worth the cost.

However, a coworker of mine has done quite some research on the type of camera you're describing; he plans on using it for nature photography. He's decided upon a Fuji FinePix 6000d. Here are a couple of things he wrote about it:

"So i've been doing lots of research and landed on a camera that I can not only afford, but takes terrific pictures. It's not a dslr, it's not a Canon or Nikon. I was surprised - it doesn't even have image stabilization. but it has a great lens - true wide angle 28mm - 300mm tele, and an incredibly sharp, low noise CCD. It's a Fuji FinePix 6000d. the lens and ccd are apparently well known for sharpness and lack of noise - and that's how they get around the lack of image stabilization. We'll see. I was very impressed with the sample images even when compared to the lowest price Canon Digital Rebel and Nikon D-40, both with basic kit lenses. I have a tripod if needed, and lots of experience in another life - way before image stabilization was thought of. So, I'm ready. And there's a $50 rebate from a dealer in Florida, the final cost is about half what I would spend on the Canon or Nikon - and I'd still want to invest in other lenses after that. So, this is the best value for me."

Here's a review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/. Good luck; would like to hear what you decide upon!

Bill

Here's a review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms6000fd/. Good luck; would like to hear what you decide upon!

Bill

Thanks, Bill - this gives me something good for comparison, and I've heard good things about Fujis in the past. My current camera gives me pretty good shots, like this Autumn Meadowhawk I found at Pakim Pond, but I guess I'm looking for more depth, more dimension, or just something special. Next time I'm forced to shop, I'll handle a few cameras to see how they feel. This decision should take until at least Christmas! I'll keep you posted.

Meadowhawk.jpg