Directions to the "Blue Hole"

B

BarryC

Hello all,
I just came from the Blue Hole. So I figured I'd give directions for those needing them. These are from Hammonton and points East.
From here I take 561 all the way to Hammonton, rather than drive on 30. But if you drive on 30, way out in the western part of Mullica, 30 makes a curve to the right. At that point go straight, on 602. 602 eventually merges with 561. At 54 you have to make a left and a quick right in order to stay on 561. From there you go through Folsom. Then you watch out for a railroad bridge. You go under that bridge and only a short distance further you go over a steel-deck bridge that goes over more railroad tracks. After that you make a left turn onto Hall Street. But you have to watch out because Hall Street actually touches the end of the bridge, so you need to turn immediately! You don't want to miss it.
Somewhere along the way, Hall Street becomes Piney Hollow Road, but I didn't notice where. But you don't have to make any turns. Just stay on this road. When you go through Winslow, watch out for a severe turn to the left, directly in front of the Winslow School. From there you go 3 miles and make a right turn at the sign for the shotgun range (not the archery range). It's directly across from a blueberry field. After you turn in, you go about 6 tenths of a mile and park off the edge of the sand road and walk down a path. There is a road there which goes to the right, but you don't go down there. You walk the path, which is at like a 45º angle from the road you came in on. Follow that for just a few minutes and you'll see the Blue Hole on your right. You'll notice a concrete pipe under the path that is beginning to show, and it has a piece broken out of it. That's where it is.
Barry

KARL

Scout
Sep 7, 2003
BARNEGAT
Visit site
blue hole

HI BARRY,
MANY THANKS FOR YOUR VERY ACCURATE AND WELL WORDED ADVICE ON HOW TO GET TO THE BLUE HOLE..........HAVE READ ABOUT IT FOR MANY YEARS,AND ITS BOTTOMLESS BOTTOM......AM ALWAYS IMPRESSED BY THE MATURITY AND INTELLIGENCE OF THE MEMBERS OF THIS WEB SITE......SUCH A NICE CONTRAST WITH THE GENERAL WEB SURFERS.........KARL

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree with you completely Karl, and hopefully I am speaking for others when I say it is nice to have you as a contributor to Ben's site.

Guy

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
well i decided to go check out the blue hole today...i didnt find it...but after rereading the directions i think i see whwere i went wrong....i was looking for the path on piney hollow road....i drove by the archery range the shotgun range and a liitle further up the road was another shooting range on the other side of the street...i found a lot of trails but no blue hole.......so i think after rereading this im supposed to TURN IN at the shotgun range and the path is six tenth of a mile down the road to the shotgun range??thanx for any help....tom

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Go to maptech.com and click on online maps.
Type in Blue Hole as a place and NJ as the State. The first map up is a USGS showing the Blue Hole and the roads through the ranges.
Maptech also gives you the lat/lon as you drag your cursor over a spot if you want to use GPS.
The first time I went to the Blue Hole the guy that took me there only knew how to find it by crossing the Egg Harbor river from the first WMA road coming in from Piney hollow.We used chest waders to get across and just made it .
Aftrer crossing, I realized we were on roads that were obviously accessible from somewhere else.
The Blue Hole didn't look very mysterious or deep . It looks like an old dugout pond and it is silted in with leaves . Given its close proximity to the Eggharbor River crossing, I would venture to say it was a small borrow pit for building landing areas on either side of the river for a bridge that isn't there.

B

bach2yoga

capttom said:
well i decided to go check out the blue hole today...i didnt find it...but after rereading the directions i think i see whwere i went wrong....i was looking for the path on piney hollow road....i drove by the archery range the shotgun range and a liitle further up the road was another shooting range on the other side of the street...i found a lot of trails but no blue hole.......so i think after rereading this im supposed to TURN IN at the shotgun range and the path is six tenth of a mile down the road to the shotgun range??thanx for any help....tom

Yes, Tom, turn IN at the shotgun range, and then head down looking for the path.
If you are very astute you will see blue blazes to your right as you hike, but most people tend to miss them. The blazes have seen better days.
We don't live far, if you want company let us know!
Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
thanx for clearing that up for me...im going to try tomorrow...ill be there around 2pm ...wouldnt mind some company....but im sure most peeps will be workin tomorrow....ive got a couple more days till its back to work for me...so if anyone wants to meet up there tomorrow let me know......tom

B

bach2yoga

capttom said:
thanx for clearing that up for me...im going to try tomorrow...ill be there around 2pm ...wouldnt mind some company....but im sure most peeps will be workin tomorrow....ive got a couple more days till its back to work for me...so if anyone wants to meet up there tomorrow let me know......tom

We can make it.
Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
ok sounds good..ill be there at two...silver 4 door dodge truck... big harley sticker in the rear window......tom

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
renee...thanx for your help...it was very nice to meet you...i must say i could see the bottom of the blue hole...LOL....but it was a neat place and i did see quite a few pickeral in it...

B

bach2yoga

sure thing, it was nice to meet ya'll! thanks for the life back.
Renee

N

nodrogyetter

the blue hole

I have been to the blue hole last summer. It was a cool trip, well worth the ride.
The one problem that I had going back is that a man gave me the wrong directions when I asked him. Luck for me, I ignored his directions and explored to find it myself. It was only 5 mins. from the guy who obviously didnt want me back there.
It seems that the locals dont want people back there. I wonder if it is because the legends of it are true?

N

nodrogyetter

blue hole info

The legends of the blue hole that I have heard vary.
I heard that it is bottomless, and that it is a mysterious blue at times.
It is definitely a bluish green, but I dont know if it is bottomless, and I dont want to try finding out.
There is not one type of living life form in this mysterious pond and it was dead quiet in the area surrounding it, which was quite errie!
It was also very very cold when I went to see it, which was odd, considering it was 96 degrees out!
I also heard that a mysterious force will pull you down if you swim in it. this I also dont know if it is true.
This place is definitely ancient!!!!!!!

N

nodrogyetter

blue hole

does any one have any personal experiences on the blue hole that are
out of the ordinary?

B

BarryC

blue hole info

The last time I was there it had been going down to 10° or so ever night for over a week and the daytime highs were less than 30. Yet there was not a trace of ice there. In fact if you looked hard enough you could see some very faint steam coming off of it. It was very faint but I could see it if I looked hard enough. Also I could see the bottom of it all the way across.
Barry
nodrogyetter said:
It is definitely a bluish green, but I dont know if it is bottomless, and I dont want to try finding out.
There is not one type of living life form in this mysterious pond and it was dead quiet in the area surrounding it, which was quite errie!
It was also very very cold when I went to see it, which was odd, considering it was 96 degrees out!
I also heard that a mysterious force will pull you down if you swim in it. this I also dont know if it is true.

B

bach2yoga

It's not bottomless, it has been measured before. There were articles in SJ magazine by a man who did. It does apparently have quicksand, though.
The summer before last a man drowned there. It hardly looks deep enough to drown in, but quicksand explains that.
Renee

capttom

Scout
Feb 23, 2004
blue hole info

nodrogyetter said:
there were plenty of pickeral in the hole when i was there...im pretty sure renee saw them to....had to stare at the water for awhile to see them...but they were there.............tom