Dirt bikes!

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Ran into a bunch of Dirt bikes yesterday First 2 groups were cool.The Third wasn't they blocked the road and laugh!Had to wait like 5 mins for them to move.This was about 2 miles outside of Speedwell.:jeffd:

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Ran into a bunch of Dirt bikes yesterday First 2 groups were cool.The second not they blocked the road and laugh!Had to wait like 5 mins for them to move.This was about 2 miles outside of Speedwell.:jeffd:

You have as much right to that road as they do. I would have proceeded forward. Today, my wife and I were out along Quaker Bridge Road. What a mess with all the motocross bikes. There had to be over a hundred bikes in different groups/segments. Most of them were polite and either waved or nodded thanks as I pulled off to the side so they could easily get down the road. A couple times, we almost had new hood ornaments from the blind corners that they were flying around. Once we got by the bridge we stopped seeing anymore of them.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You should have been at Carranza this morning, maybe 500. The problems we had, besides speeding ang ignoring the rules of the road, was inconsiderate people in trucks blocking the roads and not even attempting to move. On my side of the road and completly ignoring us and carrying on a conversation with people in the road, couldn't get to Carranza Memorial.
One complete jerk in a Nuss construction truck out on Push Line Road blocking the road and carrying on a conversation with another and absolutely no consideration untill we asked him if we could pass. Both insidents were like 5 minutes long.

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
wake up call

was camping at lower forge last night. they were my wake up call at 7am. didnt bother me much the rain had stopped. there was a race today at Quaker bridge. 100's of cycles. after i pasted them 2 mountian bikes complained to me about the noise. they were riding on the Batona Trail:rolleyes:

lowerbankman

Scout
Nov 12, 2008
Lower Bank, NJ
I ran into a bunch of motocross guys last weekend up by deep hollow road. Most of 'em were friendly and waved or nodded, but it seems like there's always one guy who's got to give them a bad name.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
That was an enduro. Not motocrossers (or motocross bikes, though they look similar). I think that was the Sandy Lane enduro which has been going on for over 70 years. The enduro guys might hold the record for being the most curtious of the recreational groups that use the woods, but the sheer #'s cause some disruption in traffic especially along Carranza road. Most of the intersections should have flaggers, but there are always some spots that are missed.

Events of this magnitude don't happen too often and are a temporary inconvience.

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I think that was the Sandy Lane enduro which has been going on for over 70 years. The enduro guys might hold the record for being the most curtious of the recreational groups that use the woods,

Events of this magnitude don't happen too often and are a temporary inconvience.

Jeff

Amen Jeff.
My friend Y-Buc Bill fom this site is a memeber of the SJ Enduro Riders.
At 83 and with two knee replacements he doesn't ride anymore but he still mans a checkpoint each year.
Thank God the enduros can still take place in the pines.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I have no issues with the enduro guys.....from my expirience they are very respectful and have a understanding of the pines and how special it is. It seems like it isn't a wasteland for many of these guys like it is for some of the other ORV groups.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
was camping at lower forge last night. they were my wake up call at 7am. didnt bother me much the rain had stopped. there was a race today at Quaker bridge. 100's of cycles. after i pasted them 2 mountian bikes complained to me about the noise. they were riding on the Batona Trail:rolleyes:

We were at Unbridge, the remenant of a bridge just downstream from lower forge camp on Sunday morning. We watched 3 in a canoe trying to get over some downed trees and could hear others thaking another way around. We had 2 dogs. Was that you?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I have no issues with the enduro guys.....from my expirience they are very respectful and have a understanding of the pines and how special it is. It seems like it isn't a wasteland for many of these guys like it is for some of the other ORV groups.

It was pretty aweful if you wanted to use the pines, they hijacked it. Couldn't use Carranza Road, Tuckerton, Push Line, Quaker Bridge and parts of the Batona Trail. They thought they owned the place and wouldn't give anyone else a break. All consideration and rules of the road were forgotton. They speed and were driving wrecklesly, not slowing down or even looking when they crossed a road while on a fire break.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
It was pretty aweful if you wanted to use the pines, they hijacked it. Couldn't use Carranza Road, Tuckerton, Push Line, Quaker Bridge and parts of the Batona Trail. They thought they owned the place and wouldn't give anyone else a break. All consideration and rules of the road were forgotton. They speed and were driving wrecklesly, not slowing down or even looking when they crossed a road while on a fire break.
I wasn't out yesterday, but I agree that this activity is a problem, and I ride a dual sport in the woods nearly every week in warm weather and have had to turn around or abandon roads several times due to the wall of bikes coming at me! While most of the riders are considerate, just the sheer number of them is the problem. Similar problems occur (on a smaller scale) when the horse riders are out in large numbers and with the bicycle races on the paved roads.
I do know that at some National Parks, group activities have been limited in size, even limiting the size of hiking groups so as not to ruin it for others.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
It was the 42nd running of the Curly Fern Enduro. They also just ran the 72nd Sandy Lane Enduro! Enduros have a long history in the pines and I'm glad they are still around and are still being supported.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Let me just say,I have been in the pines for 35 years+ This was not to say Motorcycles do not belong.I have ridden Motorcycles on the streets for years and people bit-h about that. Like I said that day I stopped and let several bike go.This was like 9 guys making a bad name for others.I have no problem with other motocross people or anyone else using the pines. I just was hot under the collar. Thank you for time on this Forum.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It was the 42nd running of the Curly Fern Enduro. They also just ran the 72nd Sandy Lane Enduro! Enduros have a long history in the pines and I'm glad they are still around and are still being supported.

They deny other citizens the peaceful of the use of the forest and have a selfish self centered attitude. Not to mention the stench of half burned 2 cycle oil and the noise. These people have nothing to do with the pines except it's explotiation for their own interests, don't care about the heather, pixie, teeberry and other plants they ride over, and could never hear the call of a hawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
We were at Unbridge, the remenant of a bridge just downstream from lower forge camp on Sunday morning. We watched 3 in a canoe trying to get over some downed trees and could hear others thaking another way around. We had 2 dogs. Was that you?
no, but i walked down to the old bridge the nite before and wondered how i would get my kayak over those trees:). luckily i was hiking. was out of the area by 9am.

Trailhead00

Explorer
Mar 9, 2005
Haddonfield, NJ
They deny other citizens the peaceful of the use of the forest and have a selfish self centered attitude. Not to mention the stench of half burned 2 cycle oil and the noise. These people have nothing to do with the pines except it's explotiation for their own interests, don't care about the heather, pixie, teeberry and other plants they ride over, and could never hear the call of a hawk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry you had such a bad day in the pines but saying they have a selfish self centered attitude is a quite a blanket statement. Enduros have been held for over 70 years in the pines, I'd say they are part of the history. Plus, there are only 2 or 3 each year. Giving up 2 or 3 Sundays each year I do not think is the biggest deal. Hardly anyone rides a 2 stroke cycle anymore. Most are 4 stroke, with dual overhead cams, 4-5 valves made out of titanium, they possess a lot of modern technology. All of the enduro races are held on existing trails, roads and/or firebreaks. New trails are not cut for the purpose of an enduro. They have to submit the route of the race to the state and state has final say.

I don't want to get into a shouting match because this thread will end up in the slag pile very quickly. The off road community finds it very frustrating though when the other side does not even want to grant access for 2 or 3 days each year. It's just a couple days per year!!! You can have it all to yourself for the remaining 353 days!

Quote regarding enduro clubs:

"All club-sponsored events held on state land require that we are licensed, registered, and insured, we are all law-abiding citizens. The proceeds from these events go back to the surrounding community: commonly local Fire Departments, Ambulance Squads, Boy Scouts, and Forest restoration projects."

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

The preservation of the forest _requires_ that we be tolerant of other uses. And to be honest with you, nature and history lovers have nothing to do with the pines, either.