Displaing GPS track

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Displaying GPS track

I've seen pictures of tracks displayed here on topo maps many times. I have a Garmin 60CS and have saved tracks and used Easygps to upload to my computer but all I get is a track displayed in Easygps with no map. How do you do it?

Thanks

Ed

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I know there are a number of software packages which do this, depending on what you want. Google Earth Plus will do it (cost $20/year). If you have the Garmin US Topo maps on disk then you can use MapSource to display your track on their maps.

OziExplorer will also do it, but you have to make your own maps. DeLorme's Topo map software will also do it. On the Mac you can use Mac GPS Pro, but you need to make your own maps.

There's also TopoFusion for the PC. I know there are several other packages out there, but can't recall their names offhand. I'm sure Guy and others will tell you what they're using.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

Download the track and make sure you save it as a GPX file. Then you can view them in USAPhotoMaps with a topo or aerial map.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have been using USAPhotoMaps to create big topo maps for OziExplorer and never even noticed that it could display tracks! Thanks for pointing that out Guy.

Here's another one which is very cool, and you don't need any software - you create the map by filling in this form on their webpage: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/map

And you can do lots of other things there too: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/examples/

I don't have my 60csx here at the moment, but I believe all of the 60 series have the option to be treated as a USB disk on your PC. On your 60cs, go to the interface icon on the setup menu - there should be a USB Mass Storage option. Turn that on and connect your GPS to your PC. It should recognize it as a removable storage device.

If you look around there - in the garmin folder I believe - you should be able to find your track files which will already be in .gpx format. You should be able to drag these to another folder on your PC and use in a program like USAPhotoMaps or on the website mentioned above.