Does the recreation here die down in the summer.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
I haven't been to the Pine Barrens for two months. The summer months don't interest me. Is anyone the same way?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
My enthusiasm for the woods is still up there this time of year, but I also love the bay and it often presents a more pleasant option on any given day. I just trade the ticks for greenhead flies .

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I rarely go anywhere during the weekends on the summer; I just don't have the patience to deal with all the shore traffic and additional people everywhere. But I live in the pine barrens and have my own land which is adjacent to a state forest. So I spend several hours everyday out in the woods and really enjoy that... guess I'm spoiled :)

Ticks are really not an issue at all if you use permethrin (as discussed elsewhere around here).

Oct 25, 2006
Pines Barrens exploring is a 12 month thing for me, unless the snow is heavy, or the rain is coming down in sheets, that will not stop me.

Jim

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
i enjoy the fall and winter months much more, but i am down there all year round, and one reason other then the bugs and how hot it is in the summer is it is much more crowded down there, sometimes i like going through the woods and not see a single person

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
sometimes i like going through the woods and not see a single person

More than sometimes for me. In the winter especially, Jessica and I have spend all Saturday morning into the afternoon driving around and exploring in certain area's and never met anyone. That is what I call a good day.

Guy

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
so i didn't want to sound like a complete loner, but yes as for me, closer to never than sometimes, i could drive around for hours and see one person and get aggravated, but i guess if you get stuck or run into trouble it wouldn't be to bad to see someone, winter and fall are my absolute favorite, in the summers those i guess black flys travel along your car with you, i had my two dogs in the back and there was at least 20 flys on both of their heads, and one fly actually drew blood fom my one dogs head, no thanks

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I agree that those days when I don't see anyone are good days in the woods, but I guess I don't mind running into an occasional person. They are usually like minded, just out to enjoy the woods. I have week days off regularly and hardly ever see anyone regardless of the season, anyway.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I’m too new at this to have a favorite season yet; so far, I’ve only seen one summer, spring and now an early fall since I’ve started to really explore things. (My younger days of randomly driving around don’t count).

And after being out for a little bit today, I’m thinking fall is going to be a favorite. It was an absolutely beautiful day, and best of all, dry. I was driving around Hampton, High Crossing, Friendship, Speedwell and didn’t run into a single puddle. In the spring, I recall the High Crossing Road was one continuous puddle, and deep ones at that. I have a stock Wrangler and got through alright in the spring, but today I never had a worry.

I also didn’t see another soul on the dirt roads (passed a few people on the paved part of Carranza).

So a sunny dry day in autumn is now my standard for a good time to drive through the pines.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Should be a really nice weekend according to the National Weather Service forecast....

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 74. North wind between 9 and 14 mph.
Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 44. North wind between 6 and 8 mph.
Sunday: Sunny, with a high near 73. East wind between 6 and 9 mph.
Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 47. East wind between 4 and 7 mph becoming calm.

Hope everyone has a great time and that you find the solitude you seek. After a full week of 14 hour days working in the city I really need some of that at the moment! I'll admit it, I'm a loner also and share the same sentiments about not crossing paths with anyone else during a day in the woods. But I'm fortunate enough to be able to head out my back door and wander around as long as I like without running into anybody :)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
I have been going in and out of the pines for a good 35 years,Its always a great time but I like Fall, Winter and spring better then summer. Summer time air can be hard in there.I do enjoy the quiet very much when I see some I will either turn the other way or just say hey and go back to my thing.I hope that it will be there forever!Thanks to the people on this forum it will be

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I prefer late fall to early spring in the pines because of the cooler weather and the absence of deer ticks, eye diving gnats, chiggers, deer flies, and spider webs in my eyes, hair, and mouth. However, if you never get out in the summer you'll miss seeing things like fence lizards, various species of frogs, orchids, pitcher plants in bloom, blueberries, etc. I do generally restrict myself to hiking on dirt roads during summer though because experience has taught me that coming into contact with grass and foliage even briefly can leave you with dozens of chiggers on your legs.

I'll hit the Batona Trail again as soon as we get the first hard frost...which hopefully will be soon.

DaveMcL

Oct 18, 2007
West Philadelphia
I find that many of the tiny streams I loved to explore/fish growing up around MD and PA are too overgrown in the summer. Most of my best experiences have come in early spring or late fall when the undergrowth isn't really a problem.

I'm new to exploring the pines, and while I wish there were trout to be caught in the creeks, I'd love to go for pickerel. Does the fishing slow way down when it gets colder?

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I find that many of the tiny streams I loved to explore/fish growing up around MD and PA are too overgrown in the summer. Most of my best experiences have come in early spring or late fall when the undergrowth isn't really a problem.

I'm new to exploring the pines, and while I wish there were trout to be caught in the creeks, I'd love to go for pickerel. Does the fishing slow way down when it gets colder?

Pickerel will bite any time of the year. I fish, as long as the water is open, all year.