Dogs on Chew Road

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Dog lovers may be interested. Nothing special.

We were heading down Chew Road this morning and a hunters dog ran right across the road in front of us. A few seconds later and it would have been toast. Another driver stopped after we did and we noticed it had a transmitter on it's neck. There were at least tow other dogs up Chew Road howling. I called the Park Police and they said they would come. In the meantime the man turned around and went back up the road looking for the owner. We stayed with the dog and kept it safe because it tried to cross the road again in front of a car. I had to wave them to stop or they may have hit it. Eventually, we heard the dogs yelping even louder and a truck came down the road and picked them up. He then came down to us and picked our dog up. He had the huge TV antenna and was tracking others in the woods. My brother-in law owns one of those dog and they really stink. These were no exception.

I called the police back and told them he arrived. I saw them on 206 heading that way after leaving and I hope they got the info I had called back.

Edited video. The time is off one hour and the camera was facing the sun making the video somewhat poor.

IMG_2845.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We have two labs.Sophie smells good when dry but stinks when wet.Shiloh stinks all the time.She smells like a wet dog even when she's dry and even after a bath. I wonder what they think of how Daddy smells.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That's the guy that lives across the swamp from me Guy. I have called him several times to retrieve them from our yard. By the time I call, he is usually on his way because he knows from the tracker that they are out of the woods The last time I tied off three while we waited. They are usually friendly but somewhat skittish. The owner's phone number is on their collars. Our dogs are tagged with address and phone number too.

My son tied one off about 5 years ago that had a PA phone number on the collar. We called and the guy from PA said he recently sold a dog to the guy. Fortunately, he still had the swamp guy's number.

Running hounds is a lot of fun but it is very worrisome when they cross a road. My best friend has run dogs all of his life with his father and has seen several lost to roadway accidents. The modern tracking collars are certainly helpful in knowing exactly where the dog is and in which direction they are trailing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, that's a good shot of your cars pine stripping.

Yes, it does show my car well. Years ago when I was younger it may have bothered me but I no longer even think twice about it.

Scott ..he was nice and I am glad his dogs are okay. I did not see the phone number on the collar but I did get a photo of the serial numbers on the transmitter. Then again it may be the frequency of the transmitter.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
He has a lot of dogs maybe only a few had the phone number on it. The last ones we grabbed had his name and phone on it.

I order all my dog related stuff from Gun Dog Supply and they have an interesting advice section on what to put on a dog's tag. The owner of GDS strongly recommends NOT putting the dog's name on the tag. Giving a dog thief the name may help him get acquainted with the dog faster. He recommends owner's name, multiple phone numbers along with a couple of tricks like "Needs Daily Meds". I do have our dog's name on his tag but my son does not put his dog's name on the tag.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/important-i-d--tag-information.html

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I think the information on that site is spot on.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In the video I was looking up the road because his other dogs were up there and howling. Vehicle had been stopping and I was concerned someone was going to take one. But in the end they were howling I think because he was arriving.