Don’t overly politicize the NJ Pinelands Commission

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Pineland Commision Mission Statement: "Preserve, protect, and enhance the natural and cultural resources of the Pinelands National Reserve, and to encourage compatible economic and other human activities consistent with that purpose."

Electing the Deputy Executive Director of the New Jersey Chemical Council is in direct contradiction of that mandate. Over the years I've met three builders who would love to put subdivisions in forested areas.

The original Pinelands Protection Act states in part: "The pinelands area comprises pine-oak forests, cedar swamps, and extensive surface and ground water resources of high quality which provide a unique habitat for a wide diversity of rare, threatened and endangered plant and animal species and contains many other significant and unique natural, ecological, agricultural, scenic, cultural and recreational resources; that the continued viability of such area and resources is threatened by pressures for residential, commercial and industrial development".

Putting corporate flacks in charge will lead to the dissolution of the original mandate. It always does.

Erring on the side of, and protecting the fragile ecosystem where I live and the forests, rivers and swamps I have come to appreciate and love is a sacred trust.

Tree Huggers unite!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I honestly haven't followed this at all, and don't know anything about this person. But couldn't they find someone qualified who isn't the "deputy executive director of the New Jersey Chemical Council"? Even if he's the greatest guy in the world, that's a bad look.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I honestly haven't followed this at all, and don't know anything about this person. But couldn't they find someone qualified who isn't the "deputy executive director of the New Jersey Chemical Council" on the commission? Even if he's the greatest guy in the world, that's a bad look.
The Press article states "Someone with knowledge and experience of the chemical industry could be invaluable to the commission’s central role of protecting the purity of New Jersey’s largest groundwater resource."

Holy crap. Maybe the single dumbest sentence in the history of The Press.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The Chemical Industry "advocacy" for the Pinelands.

Last edited: