dover forge birdsville

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
When I was much younger, myself and a friend of mine were wandering across from Dover Forge in an area we used to call Birdsville. Lining the way in, were alot of cute little birdhouse on the trees. Up to the right of that was a path called holly road. It had a little sign near a holly tree. If you walked up holly road and went into the woods a way there were alot of well kept grave sites with white cross markers. The area was raked and clean and the crosses were frequently repainted. One time we found bones laid out on one of the graves and got frightened. We went to the police station where it was explained to us that it was an Indian Burial Ground and it may be a ritual to put bones out one grave at certain times of year. 20 some years later we tried to find it again and can't. Any info?:(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would say they did. Here is the main item you see there now. Not very well kept.

hollowfield.jpg

Guy

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
So this would be across from Dover Forge on Dover Road near the bend before the power lines and that pond that looks man made? There are two trails into the woods there. I can't remember which one it is. The bird houses were still in tact under 10 years ago because I brought my son there when he was around 8 and he's 16. I'm just getting confused because some of the threads talk about this cemetery as being in Bamber by Carusoville. It's no where near there.

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
cook topo

ok, the number 13 cook topo squares up with the cemetery I remember. I don't know how that relates to bambers "pet cemetery" if at all.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Did the cemetery you see have the metal crosses like the ones that are in Guy's photo?

If yes: You were at Hollow Field Cemetary, a/k/a the Bamber Pet Cemetary
If no: You were at some place else that we might not know about

pineypower71

Oct 19, 2008
bones

So I wonder what the significance of the skeleton was. It was laid out real nicely on top of a grave. Only saw it once. Definatly human. Had pelvic bones and all the vertebrae. No scull. Obviously a descendant was keeping the place nice and clean back then. I don't remember the metal cross. The crosses were wooden and white at the time but the deer stand looks familiar. Any guesses on the bones?