Dover Forge

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
Hi, everyone.
I have been hiking around the Dover Forge area for a while and I've seen the very little bit of history that I can find on the internet. Boyd's maps are a great help and Historic Aerials have showed me the footings of the old buildings and the bridge/ dam that once continued down to Bamber lake area and Dover Forge rd. that uses to connect to Mule. Rd. However, more history is scant.
I was going to join a couple of local history groups for some insight.
Can you suggest any leads or sources that may provide more information?

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Are you familiar with the books by Henry Charlton Beck? I'm not going to suggest that everything in his books are factual, but have you read them?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I recall a ledger book being available, I think Monmouth Historical Society has it. Did you see that? I'll look for it on my computer if not.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I found a document in my files that has some good info. It describes how the forge hammers operated, ownership, etc. It's entitled General John Lacey, People and Progress. If you want it send me a PM with your email.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This reminds me. In that time, there were mule teams that carried the forge products to Philadelphia. I found a mule shoe on the old "Mule Road". I don't need it if anyone wants it they can have it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DashRyan

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
This reminds me. In that time, there were mule teams that carried the forge products to Philadelphia. I found a mule shoe on the old "Mule Road". I don't need it if anyone wants it they can have it.
Thank you for the lead!
I will definitely contact the Monmouth historical society. That's good information.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob...what hike were we on at Dover Forge when we found the donkey rail? I can find it in my photos.

Reactions: DashRyan

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob...what hike were we on at Dover Forge when we found the donkey rail? I can find it in my photos.
That was in Double Trouble Guy, downstream from Dover Forge. It was Chris's Cedar Creek explore. One tough one too.....when we went all the way to Double Trouble after crossing Cedar Creek upstream from Dover Forge.

DashRyan

Scout
Nov 5, 2022
Toms river
That was in Double Trouble Guy, downstream from Dover Forge. It was Chris's Cedar Creek explore. One tough one too.....when we went all the way to Double Trouble after crossing Cedar Creek upstream from Dover Forge.
That's incredible. I had no idea that there was a donkey rail! It's south of Cedar creek and east of Dover Forge?
I bet that was difficult to find.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob, what was the name of the hike? I can't find that hike.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. It has taken me forever for some odd reason but I found it. This should give you some info on the rails.

Donkey Rails

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And as for Donkey Rails ....I discovered a pile of them being stored by the state at a location that they used for many years. Well hidden and remote. However, when I returned some year later they were gone.

IMG_4812a.jpg

IMG_4811a.jpg

And they are also used for property corners off of Carranza Road.

IMG_5098a.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I read that link you posted Guy. I wonder if it was for sanding bogs as German mentioned. Plus that train Tom posted looks like sand dumpers. Makes a lot of sense.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I read that link you posted Guy. I wonder if it was for sanding bogs as German mentioned. Plus that train Tom posted looks like sand dumpers. Makes a lot of sense.
I wonder if the volunteer got that running at Whitesbog. Maybe Tom will respond.