Dr. Smith's Sanitarium Site

B

bach2yoga

Barry--anyone---
Familiar with this place? It's on the national register of historic places.
Renee

Neutral Water Health Resort Sanitarium (added 1991 - Site - #91000267)
Also known as Dr. Smith's Sanitarium Site
Jct. of Claudius St. and London Ave., Egg Harbor City
Historic Significance: Information Potential, Event
Area of Significance: Historic - Non-Aboriginal, Health/Medicine
Cultural Affiliation: American medical
Period of Significance: 1900-1924, 1925-1949
Owner: Local Gov't
Historic Function: Health Care
Historic Sub-function: Resort, Sanatorium
Current Function: Government, Recreation And Culture, Vacant/Not In Use
Current Sub-function: Outdoor Recreation

B

BarryC

Yes, I'm familiar with it. The sanitorium itself is gone (I have an original postcard of it which I can scan). There is one building left from the complex. It's a 16-sided building known as the roundhouse. I forget exactly what its purpose was. It is now the headquarters of the Egg Harbor City Historical Society. The Sanitorium was the main building in a complex that included small canals that people were encouraged to wade through for good health as part of their treatment. The canals are still there near the roundhouse.

B

bach2yoga

UGGHH It figures....a 16 sided building? Can you scan the post card? I'd love to visit what is left!
Renee

B

BarryC

Okay. I scanned my postcard, and I will be posting it in my gallery at this site momentarily. By the time anyone reads this, it will be there.
We can all go visit the site anytime you want to come up.
Barry
bach2yoga said:
UGGHH It figures....a 16 sided building? Can you scan the post card? I'd love to visit what is left!
Renee

B

bach2yoga

The building in the background--the "roundhouse" looking building--that was the 16 sided building, and the building to the left was the sanitarium?
We should have stopped to look at it today, unfortunately time got away from us.
Renee

B

BarryC

Well I don't know. That roundhouse-looking building doesn't look like the actual roundhouse to me. And the actual roundhouse has like 23 windows, which that doesn't seem to have. The big hotel-looking building is the Sanitarium, yes.
bach2yoga said:
The building in the background--the "roundhouse" looking building--that was the 16 sided building, and the building to the left was the sanitarium?
We should have stopped to look at it today, unfortunately time got away from us.
Renee