Droppings ID

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

My daughter has some sort of animal inside their building but they can't find it. Can anyone identify this dropping and tell her what animal it may be?

DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE THE PHOTO.

http://home.comcast.net/~islandtee/IMG_0495.JPG

She bought a humane trap and they have not been able to catch it as of yet. It has not tripped it and may have never even gone in it.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Size? Does she live in urban, suburban or rural area? Could be canine, skunk, possum, raccoon, squirrel... Might set up your trail camera.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My camera only works during the day and someone is there during that time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Never thought of a chipmunk.

It appears to be at night. They go home in the late afternoon and the next day they are all over. She had a better photo but somehow deleted it. She will get another one soon I am sure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If it's nocturnal only it would be more apt to be one of the typical squatters; raccoon, possum, skunk. Was the scat found in a living area?

It is not a living area. It is a concrete floor for the most part.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I worked in a wood shop years ago. The same thing. Come in the morning and they are all over. If it's chipmunk they are very dry and almost entirely bug skeletons. And not along the wall like a mouse or rat.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I worked in a wood shop years ago. The same thing. Come in the morning and they are all over. If it's chipmunk they are very dry and almost entirely bug skeletons. And not along the wall like a mouse or rat.

Thanks. She just told me she will do a closer investigation tomorrow :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Thanks. She just told me she will do a closer investigation tomorrow :)

Ask her to put a quarter, or something similar, next to it in the photo for size comparison. Chipmunks are usually not active at night. My yard is full of them and their tunnels, never see them at night, they become active here around 6-7am.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The problem has been solved. On Friday she came home and mentioned they found a toad in the building and they have had them before. A quick search on Google images using "Toad droppings" and the issue was resolved. Google even has multiple photos with a quarter next to the dropping as 46er suggested. A perfect match.

The toad actually set off the humane trap but obviously was able to make its way out of the trap because nothing was in it when she checked.

Thanks to all for your help.