Drought conditions

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's getting really dry around here and I have been checking the USGS drought watch site regularly. Today for the first time it is showing "moderate hydrologic drought" over part of the pines. There's some hope for rain in the forecast later this week, but we've seen those come and go over the past few weeks.

More info here: http://nj.usgs.gov/hazards/drought/

pa07d_dwc.gif

dry_shd_wnd.gif

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We went to Mannis Duck Pond this morning. I was surprised it wasn't dry. Long ago I remember the only water was in the old stream bed.

P9070002s.JPG

P9070005s.JPG

P9070012s.JPG

Reactions: Teegate

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
The standing waters near the head of the Tulpe are dry. All of the meadows along the Batsto are dry. Even the mighty Oswego is showing its gravel bottom.

Yesterday I was easily able to trek along the Oswego and get into many of the stands without getting my feet wet. I haven't seen the area this dry in quite some time. I understand the dynamic of water in the Pines is unique to the region, and in the past even though it didn't rain for a period of time things were still wet. This year is much different.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I read this and checked b10 fire service site. 60 80 acre fire is going on behind woodmansie clay pit.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
There was an article in the WSJ about this a few days ago

http://www.wsj.com/articles/forecast-sunny-skies-followed-by-water-restrictions-1441410535

As area residents enjoy what is predicted to be another sunny weekend, they are also facing an unpleasant consequence: diminishing water reserves.

This summer’s dry conditions have turned lawns brown and reduced water levels in area reservoirs, particularly in North Jersey and lower parts of New York state. While utilities and towns are currently asking for voluntary water reductions, they could become mandatory if the dry conditions persist.

Southern parts of the state with water systems that benefit from aquifers are in better shape than the north, which relies on reservoirs, state DEP records show.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have posted this many times in the past and hoped people would remember. It is easy to read any article at WSJ, you just need to do a google search for it. Apparently they have an arrangement to allow Google users to view their content. So just copy the following line and paste it into a Google search. That should give you full access to the article.

wall st journal Forecast: Sunny Skies, Followed by Water Restrictions

Note that I cannot post a link to the article, you have to actually perform the google search yourself. Let me know if this works.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It worked. I remember you saying that we had to search.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Start doing those rain dances and keep your fingers crossed…. :)

Thursday
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming east around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Thursday Night
Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Cloudy, with a low around 64. Light and variable wind becoming north 5 to 8 mph in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Reactions: Spung-Man

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
We'll see about Thursday. Does anyone remember the drought of 2001/2002? Every time rain was forecast, the front fell apart before it reached us. It was almost as if the dry air pushed it back. That was the most severe drought I remember.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I doubt t-storms will help much, they blow thru too quickly. To much at one time when the ground is so parched and hard, water just runs off letting gravity take it. Some steady soaking rain for a day or 2, something tropical. But something is better than nothing, at least the heat will break over the next 2 days. Autumn on the 23rd at 4:21 am but there will be few leaves left around here.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We'll see about Thursday. Does anyone remember the drought of 2001/2002? Every time rain was forecast, the front fell apart before it reached us. It was almost as if the dry air pushed it back. That was the most severe drought I remember.

2002, even the Friendship Bogs dried up. I could walk to the duck blinds without getting my feet wet.

Reactions: bobpbx

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I remember that Guy, but I also remember another one a few years earlier. My daughter was still in school, so it must have been around 1997 or 1998? There was water rationing and all the lawns were brown.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I remember that Guy, but I also remember another one a few years earlier. My daughter was still in school, so it must have been around 1997 or 1998? There was water rationing and all the lawns were brown.
I was going to mention 1997. I thought it was worse the 2002 but I'm only going by memory. Either way it's getting bad out there now. I hate to say it but we need a tropical system to come up the coast.