Dry Forests

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
At this time of year I've haven't seen the woods this dry along with vernal pools in probably 10 years. Vernal pools that are normally full until July are bone dry. We really need some rain soon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think this may vary a lot. At my place (near Estell Manor Park) water levels are pretty decent. We had 1/4" of rain just a few days ago. Stephen Creek runs through my land and I'm down there every day. Of the seven years I've lived here, at least two have been drier than this year. The last two years were unusually wet though.

I've posted this link before, it's a very cool way to see both current and historical precipitation totals:

http://water.weather.gov/precip/ind...YY=2012&timeMM=3&product=observed&loc=stateNJ

Heh, now that I look, I see I'm in the "wet belt". Use the "timeframe" menus on that site to see totals for the month, year, etc.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Boyd I did notice suprisingly wet conditions on 49 near union road and some other places along 347. Beyond those areas it is dry as a bone though. In one spot 3-4 foot vernal pools are just small puddles.