Duck and Cover !

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Six day firearm deer starts tommorrow, 12-3-12 and runs through Saturday.
It is the best of times, it is the worst of times.
:eek:

Be careful out there !

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Several of my friends did their stewardship for the NJ Audubon Society and will heading up to north this week to hunt on their land in and along Pochuck (?) mountain. I am curious to see how they make out with the hunt. It is interesting that the Society will let you hunt if you volunteer time. I am all for it. My buddies also have bear tags for the zone, so if the opportunity to harvest an animal presents itself they can do that too. From what I have heard that area around Vernon isn't friendly to hunters unless you are part of the local "clique".

This is the week I put off exploring and just wait the time out until the hunt is over.;)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All of the clubs were loaded with cars today. Many of them were packed on my way out early this morning. They must have arrived yesterday. One of the men I talked to today was from North Carolina.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Wagon Wheel had six hanging tonight down here in P'town.
The Rosedale Deer Club just down the road melded with another outfit several years ago and they sometimes hang theirs at another clubhouse.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I've totally not been out in the Pines for fear of getting shot. Lol. I'm awaiting for the spring season to come around. I have a TON of places on my list to explore next year. I truly can't wait! One of the firsts on my list is finally doing the Wading River. You guys crack me up!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I've totally not been out in the Pines for fear of getting shot. Lol.

Nothing to fear. Really.
Every year I usually post a facetious comment about six day because it does bring out some of the more stereotypical Fudd-like hunters to the woods.

Many of the one-week warriors know nothing more about their prey than if you walk through a piece of woods yelling YO BUCK !, a confused, running deer will usually squirt out the other end.
Then, with senses dulled by too much Canadian Club and Old Milwaukee the night before, you merely wheel on the deer, close your eyes and cut loose with three shots of copper plated OO buckshot.
You then quickly pray that you didn't thoroughly ventilate the guy standing next to you on the line.
;)

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I also avoid the woods this week, for the reasons Redneck stated, even though I’m a hunter myself. I much prefer waterfowling and the solitude of muzzleloading for deer. But I’d like to echo the sentiment that there really is little to fear from a safety standpoint. Getting shot by a hunter is not something one reads about in the news often, while we are dulled into indifference by the almost daily reports of traffic accidents, including fatalities, on our roads. Yet I don’t ever recall reading a post here about being careful while driving on any given day.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Mr Redneck Not all hunters are Drinking fools.People who stereo type are the fools!
Agreed doggman.
However, if you want to find a hungover fool in the woods with a gun in his hand, your chances are at their best this week.

I have been hunting 45 seasons now and I was a tag-a-long with my dad for a few seasons before that. For the most part, I hunt alone but I have hunted with several South Jersey clubs as a guest over the years. I wanted to have my sons at least experience club hunting but neither boy really enjoyed the method of driving deer.
I can tell you from first hand observation that most are run militarily with no tolerance for alcohol or stupidity.

I have also hunted with clubs where a quarter of their gang was ready on the line at 7 a.m. in the morning after having been slamming shots and beers until 3 a.m.
Four short hours of agitated tossing and turning in a smelly bunkhouse doth not a sober man make.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Red and Dogg, did you get anything yet?

Hell no ! I am too busy yacking on the compooter.

Actually, I just got back on Sunday from a week of rifle in Pennsylvania.
Bad year for me and my buddy. He saw two does on Monday and I saw nothing for the entire week. We hunt private land consisting of a few active farms and numerous abandoned farms making it tremendous food habitat and cover.
The deer sign was very encouraging as we scouted last Saturday and Sunday but the deer had apparently been pushed out to other contiguous but off limits to us woodlots.

I will likely be out with the muzzleloader hunting over the next few weeks if i can give up this stuff:
:)

img_1501.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Nope............My friend gave me some nice cuts To warm for me

I have great friends like that too. When I returned from the store this morning, I found several white paper wrapped gifts in the garage fridge. It appears to a be a backstrap, a roast, and some sausage. We will enjoy all of the venison. I noticed some beer was missing, but what are friends for?!? All in all, a good trade.;)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
In the Garden State, where the nonprofit HHH has been in place since 1997, more than 234,000 pounds of venison have been distributed throughout the state via Northwest New Jersey's Community Action Partnership Food Bank in Phillipsburg and the food banks of Ocean and Monmouth counties and South Jersey over the past 16 years. The end result is that nearly one million servings of protein have been provided to those in need.