Early Fall Bass River Stone Searching

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have quite a bit of info on Bass River but I don't always know what is out there at each location. So basically I just pick and choose locations to visit until I can come up with clear indications of what I am looking for. Recently, I was handed information that defines some incised stones and the general location that they would be. With some of them I already know where to look and with others I have to work somewhat on them.

Today, I was looking for T stones (Tucker) and FF stones (Francis French) in the vicinity of E. Greenbush Road. At the first location I found an old state monument plowed out of the ground and half buried in a mound of dirt. There should have been a T stone there but I could not find it. Maybe it is buried in the mount which I will have to check in the future.

IMG_1492.jpg

I took a guess and walked 1/4 mile through the woods and found this old state monument, and while poking in the ground I came up with a stone. I have no information on it and will go back when my fingers feel better and dig more around it. I have had problems with the skin on three of my fingers not healing properly, most likely because of the oil I use at work. I don't want to do anything that will eliminate the success I have had with healing lately. It has been an annoying four months.

IMG_0990.jpg

Then to Dan's Bridge Road where there should be two JW stones. JW is Jonathan Wright who purchased 109 acres in 1740 in the vicinity of Dan's Bridge Road. At the first location I was looking for the 11th corner of his property (JW 11) which took my car down a really tight road until I could go no more. I parked here.

IMG_1510.jpg

A 5 minute easy walk and I found nothing. So on too JW 10. This location is in the middle of a swamp that fortunately is almost completely dry now. After 400 feet of really tough going I arrived and the stone was on a slight upland in the swamp. Looking around I was about to give up when I noticed a mound of what looked like dirt in the bushes. I poked it and knew right away the water in the swamp had damaged it. There was nothing left of the JW10 which would have been incised on it.

IMG_0994.jpg

IMG_1506.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At least you found it, Thats always a good thing. That has to be one of the most densely populated areas in the barrens for incised stones.Their every where in bass River.

Yes, and because I had calculated from the stone I did not find I am certain I was at the right location for for the JW 11 stone which I could not find. I will go again but I believe it is gone. There was recent logging there and that usually is trouble for stones.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes, and because I had calculated from the stone I did not find I am certain I was at the right location for for the JW 11 stone which I could not find. I will go again but I believe it is gone. There was recent logging there and that usually is trouble for stones.
I have found several stones snapped off horizontally at ground level with the base still in the ground.Frost wedging tends to split stones vertically.I have often wondered if these stones were hit by log trucks.They were in high oak woods which have no doubt been logged for firewood several times in the past.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I went looking for the JW 11(Jonathan Wright) stone today which I calculated to be located in a swamp above the Lake Absegami camping area. I did not want to have to travel across the camping area so I entered from Dan's Bridge Road to the North. On the way there I had information on a corner just South of Dan's Bridge Road. Arriving there I found a faily large stone which was a surprise. Again, with sore fingers I could not properly dig to check if it was incised.

IMG_1002a.jpg

Moving on I crossed a stream and traveled along a swamp until I had to enter it. I almost went in up to my waist. Eventually, I made it there and found nothing until I noticed this bulge in the ground.

IMG_1519a.jpg

If it actually is the WS 11 stone it should also have a T (Tucker) on the back. I was unable to dig much at all because the roots had completely surrounded it and grew through it making it impossible for me to check today.

IMG_1520a.jpg

Guy