Earlys Crossing

I was in the Earlys Crossing area today and was curious if anyone knew who Early was or why it was named that.

Mike:

I can't say with absolute certainty, but I suspect that the name stems from Aaron Early, a nineteenth-century Pemberton Township farmer and cranberry grower. Early also entered into a partnership with Joseph M. Reeves to operate a store and meeting hall in the village of Pemberton. Early later retired, but Reeves continued operating the store. In addition, Early owned a hotel in Pemberton.

Earlys Crossing may have once existed near Aaron Early's cranberry bogs. Aaron Early may have applied to Burlington County for a private road--or just laid one out without authorization--to gain better access to his bogs, creating "Early's Crossing" in the process. The 1876 Scott atlas shows Aaron Early owning 340 acres with two buildings along Buddtown Road. In addition, the atlas shows the partnership of Early and Risdon owning 213 acres along New Lisbon-Four Mile Road. Early may have also leased other bogs in the area of the crossing.

This is my best guess, based on an interpolation of the facts at hand.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
Thanks alot jerseyman you've given nothing but good information. I'm always wondering how places get their names and like finding out. Thanks again