Earthquake?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think we just had an earthquake here. It shook my house very noticeably, could feel floor shake, walls shook, the table actually rocked back and forth! Was listening to the financial news on the radio from NYC and they also mentioned it .

Wow, that's about the strongest one I've ever felt in NJ. :eek:

[edit] they say it was 5.8 magnitude base in Virginia.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They say to expect aftershocks....

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsus/Quakes/usc0005ild.php

Magnitude 5.9 - VIRGINIA

2011 August 23 17:51:03 UTC

Earthquake Details

• This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 5.9
Date-Time
  • Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 17:51:03 UTC
  • Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 01:51:03 PM at epicenter

Location 37.975°N, 77.969°W
Depth 1 km (~0.6 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region VIRGINIA
Distances 45 km (27 miles) E of Charlottesville, Virginia
55 km (34 miles) SW of Fredericksburg, Virginia
64 km (39 miles) NW of RICHMOND, Virginia
82 km (50 miles) NNE of Farmville, Virginia
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 10.9 km (6.8 miles); depth +/- 7.4 km (4.6 miles)
Parameters NST=390, Nph=390, Dmin=57.9 km, Rmss=1.17 sec, Gp= 47°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=6
Source
  • Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0005ild

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I was in my garage when it happened. The building started to creak, then the garage door shook, tools hanging on the wall clanked together and my jeep hardtop hanging from the ceiling was swaying. 1:51PM

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Ocean County courthouse was evacuated, businesses had people running into the streets. Hanging lights started to sway and we felt a rumbling thru the floor. Not quite as strong as the one we felt at the cabin we had in upstate NY. That one put a crack in our basement floor and toppled a church steeple.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That's not supposed to happen here. The rapture must be nigh.

Matthew 24:7 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places.
Mark 13:8 For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be earthquakes in divers places, and there shall be famines and troubles: these are the beginnings of sorrows.
Luke 21:11 And great earthquakes shall be in divers places, and famines, and pestilences; and fearful sights and great signs shall there be from heave

:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i was in my suzuki with it parked and running and it started rocking forward and backward.I had just started it up and I thought it was trying to jump into gear.I thought Great! payed for in october and now it's going to start showing it"s a$$. Then 20 minutes later my step daughter calls and tells us that we just had an earthquake then everyone in the family my wife called told us earthquake stories.Just when i thought Rock and Roll was truly dead.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter was at the far end of the building at work and the concrete walls moved and made noise. The man on the other side of the wall screamed and ran out to where she was. I was at the other end on the building and was standing on a rubber mat with ear plugs in and did not even know it happened. When I walked out to the main area everyone looked at me and knew right away I had no idea what I had missed. They said the electrical bus bars moved, tables rocked, and a few people ran for the doors. I guess people overloaded the phone system because everyone except my daughters phone would not send or receive. A few people used Jennifer's phone to call home.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
“What the concern is, of course, is that this is a foreshock. If it’s a foreshock, then the worse is yet to come.”

Thats what a girl I used to date long ago used to say, or something to that effect.....

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It seems everyone has a story to tell but me. I was busy out in the field at work and didn't even notice. I always miss the the good stuff.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
At first I thought it was the dog bumping my desk, then I thought I was having some sort of flashback, then I realized the walls were really moving and it was an earthquake. The amazing thing to me is how far away reports of people feeling it came, from Canada, Ohio and Massachusetts.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
I was outside @ lunch time in No. Jersey when it happened .We felt it , you could see the earth actually move .Our offfice building , 4 stories steel & concrete , swayed .Building was evacuated. By a bizarre coincidence , one of the people i was having lunch with is born and raised in VA. . Main thing no injuries !