East Creek: Osprey vs Eagle

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Went fishing on East Creek Pond in Belleplain yesterday and as usual, the bald eagles were working the lake. So were the ospreys.
We watched an eagle perched in a dead tree for about 20 minutes.
We tried to drift in closer for a look-see when an osprey cruised in screeching like a banshee with talons out and attacked the eagle.
The eagle pushed off hard and he broke the branch he was on. A few feathers and bark went drifting downward.
The eagle then turned and flew away with no attempt at retaliation. The osprey continued on his flight path and did not pursue the eagle.
I was really surprised that an eagle would cower to an osprey but then again, I don't know all that much about either bird's behavior.
Cool as hell to watch though.
Scott

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Steve
I took one still photo of the eagle perched in the tree but it was too far away to make out any detail. This was before the aerial attack.
There were 4 of us in my boat and my one buddy yelled when the osprey swooped in and we all looked up and saw the action.
Couldn't grab the camera fast enough.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
A perched raptor is usually at the mercy of any flying bird. If I were an osprey who had been regularly robbed of my fish by a bald eagle, I'd relish the chance to catch one of those bald-headed bullies on a perch! As a falconer ( before my knees and hips gave out) I saw numerous episodes of one of my birds - prairie falcon, goshawk, red-tailed hawk, great-horned owl, or whatever I was flying that season - sitting on its "weathering perch" and having to put up with the gleeful straffing runs of the neighborhood robin, catbird, mockingbird, and even one lone, brave hummingbird.

I did once observe a fish-toating osprey set upon in flight by an immature bald eagle bent on robbery. The osprey simply refused to play along. The eagle made two close, passes and the osprey juked and twisted and (I think) gave him the single raised primary feather - an act known, I expect, among birds as "giving him the person". The young eagle had no "Plan B" and gave it up for a lost cause.

I agree; inter-bird interactions are fascinating behaviors to observe.

Dave

RednekF350 said:
Went fishing on East Creek Pond in Belleplain yesterday and as usual, the bald eagles were working the lake. So were the ospreys.
We watched an eagle perched in a dead tree for about 20 minutes.
We tried to drift in closer for a look-see when an osprey cruised in screeching like a banshee with talons out and attacked the eagle.
The eagle pushed off hard and he broke the branch he was on. A few feathers and bark went drifting downward.
The eagle then turned and flew away with no attempt at retaliation. The osprey continued on his flight path and did not pursue the eagle.
I was really surprised that an eagle would cower to an osprey but then again, I don't know all that much about either bird's behavior.
Cool as hell to watch though.
Scott