East Plains

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We spent the morning looking for various things in the East Plains. We tried to cross this bridge but it is pretty much out.

So we entered by the FAA tower and walked for 5.29 miles putting in 13,300 steps. Again, I left my camera battery home so I used my phone.

Long shadow from the early morning sun that had just come out.

IMG_5432a.jpg

Looking the other way.

IMG_5430a.jpg

IMG_5440a.jpg

Many of the roads are now tough to walk.

IMG_5445a.jpg

I had noticed this on the aerial's and decided to check it out. There was a game camera there and I let myself be known :D

tree.jpg

IMG_5468a.jpg

Not sure what is going on here. Locked to a tree right along a trail.

IMG_5470a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Most likely, but unless they work at the sand company, or have permission to go across their property, or are going across it illegally, it is a long walk to get anywhere. And I don't understand why if it is the person in the stand, why not store it there. It was just hooked to the tree a short distance away right along the path.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, he will be surprised when he looks at his camera photo. That is one area of state property that does not get visited much. I just realized there are two towers. We missed visiting the second one.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I wish you had taken a picture of the bridge. Not that it matters if it's now out. I was there maybe 5+ years ago to find a well-built foot bridge. It was somewhat elevated, 12-15"? and maybe 18" wide, I guess to prevent or at least deter motorcycle use. You had a long walk going in by the FAA tower. I was in that general area about a month ago and found the same overgrown roads after the fire. I was thinking this is a forgotten area even by hunters. Maybe you ended up very close to the sand mine? I understand Pheonix is closed or at least not actively mining and the owner has purchased the one you were near to continue operations.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The bridge planks are gone. The nails are still there though. It appears that it could be crossed by walking but it is precarious and you better be a Wallenda. The water yesterday was flowing over it very fast and it is deep.

Yes, that area is rarely visited. It has grown so high after the fire we struggled to get to a place that a few years ago we could have easily went to. Too many pine trees growing next to each other to be healthy though. They are inches apart. I enjoyed our walking yesterday but enjoyed our PBX hike there more because it was right after the fire.

Reactions: manumuskin