ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Hey, Ed-
Now that is a pretty hognosed - and excellent pictures thereof!
Late August and thru September is the time of year that baby hognose may be found to be locally numerous, having recently hatched at some nearby site. One late September day near Chatsworth I found 10 or twelve babies all within 15 feet of each other under several pieces of corrugated metal roofing. One was an albino, one was melanistic, and one was a bright orange hue! The others were colored pretty much like the one you found, but just a bit darker, as the hatchlings often are. I looked for remnants of the eggs from which they hatched, but no luck.

Dave

ecampbell said:
On our walk this morning on the sand road behind Carranza Memorial that parallels th RR tracks, Williy and I triped over this small Eastern Hognose snake.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=340&pos=0

Thats an old tire tread that spans the middle of it's body. It couldn't have been over 12 inches.

When It got annoyed at me it flaired it's neck.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=340&pos=1

I have to remember to always carry a camera.

Ed

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
woodjin said:
I've never seen one in the pines. I saw one once in monmouth county growing up. Neat!!

Jeff

It is strange to hear that hognose snakes are now considered ... unusual. Although never what I'd have called "common" forty years to fifty years ago they were not really all that unusual. The species will, in captivity, feed on a wide variety of small vertebrates - cold- and warm-blooded. (toads, frogs, salamanders, and small mice). But in the natural state their populations seem dependant upon a healthy toad population. Where toads were scarse, so were hognoseds. Where toads were more plentiful, so were the hoggies. Has there been a significant drop in the toad population in the pines? There used to be a healthy toad population around Lakehurst, and the hoggies followed suite. Same near a swampy area down near Friendship-Stillwell. Also near the Wading River cranbogs.

I recall some comments earlier in the summer about a big hatch of toads, but I suppose that could have been an unusual local phenomenon. I hope not.

On that same trip I mentioned earler where I found a bunch of hatchlings, a few days before in the same area I'd caught a gravid Hoggie. I took her back to Penn State with me where she laid 18 eggs. They were incubated in moist, torn-up newspaper in a crock kept near a steampipe in my advisor's office. Dr Penoyer F. English was a great advisor! Fifteen hatched and all survived; one was melanistic. Got them eating pink mice by rubbing them (the mice) with toad urine; after they'd accepted a few, the toad smell became unnecessary. In those days it was accepted that if one was going to keep hoggies, one had to keep a supply of toads as well. The next spring ('58) the dam and her offspring were returned, marked, and released where she'd been caught.

Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting Dave. I have a friend who lives in Browns Mills who always brings up the subject of the missing toads in the pines. He claims they were much more numerous 15-20 years ago. I agree with him, but I do see a comeback lately.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I had posted that experience with the toad brood earlier. I frequently see toads. I think I have noticed more this summer and last summer than previous summers. If there is a resurrgence in toad populations, perhaps the hog-nosed snakes will follow.

Jeff

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
ecampbell said:
On our walk this morning on the sand road behind Carranza Memorial that parallels th RR tracks, Williy and I triped over this small Eastern Hognose snake.
Ed

HA! It kills me that you just said that. I was in that SAME SPOT maybe three days before you . . . looking for hognosed (amongst other things) and after several hours of seasoning my legs with chiggers . . . I found an amazing, majestic, rare--nothing. At least somebody's having luck--nice find!

-Bob