eastern hognose, venomous?

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
snakesoldiers22 said:
ive read they may have a very mild venom?

If that's a statement, no question mark is needed, and I would believe that you have, as there is quite a bit in the scientific literature on the subject.

If it is a question, it's one only you can answer.

Sorry for the tone of the above. I'm tired. Should have said t'Hell with the day, had a wee dram of singler-malt, and gone to bed long before this. In the morning I'll probably a feel badly for having been a brusque wise-ass. But right now I don't. Tough.

Have a pleasant evening.
Dave

Goanna

Jun 5, 2005
Hognose Snakes are rear fanged colubrids.

A rear fanged snake generally has to Bite and Hold/Chew in order to invenomate you. Normally, if they give a defensive bite, it is a quick bite and release. They will not generally hold on unless a feeding response is triggered.

A Front Fanged snake like a rattlesnake for instance, can invenomate with a single, quick bite and release.

Lastly, Hognose snakes are predomanently Frog/Toad eaters, and their venom has very little affect on large mammals like humans. The only problem I could see, if you actually managed to get hognose venom into your system, is if you happen to have an allergic reaction to it.

Myself, I was bit while feeding a large western hognose while I worked in a petshop a few years ago. Being that it bit me with the intent of feeding, it did hold on and I did get venom in my system. I felt a little light headed for about 15-20 minutes after that and that was about it. No other effects came of it.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
uuglypher said:
If that's a statement, no question mark is needed, and I would believe that you have, as there is quite a bit in the scientific literature on the subject.

If it is a question, it's one only you can answer.

Sorry for the tone of the above. I'm tired. Should have said t'Hell with the day, had a wee dram of singler-malt, and gone to bed long before this. In the morning I'll probably a feel badly for having been a brusque wise-ass. But right now I don't. Tough.

Have a pleasant evening.
Dave

You are a trip Dave. I'd like to meet you some day, have a malt with you..........:cool:

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
BobM said:
You are a trip Dave. I'd like to meet you some day, have a malt with you..........:cool:

I'd sure like that! I definitely plan to spend a few days in the pines on my next trip back east - whenever that happens - and hope to meet some of this congenial crowd I've gotten to know thru thru these discussions. What are some of your favorite malts, Bob ? I've been favoring, savoring, and collecting them for over 30 years and on numerous trips to Scotland.

This evening, for instance, the crowding isobars in this eastern part of the Dakota Territory have generated a sudden increase in wind speed and in the frigid breeze that is whistling thru the many cracks and crevices of this old farm house; just the right sort of night for a wee dram (or two...) of a 16-year old Lagavulin as a nightcap! When the November winds howl as they're doing now we can expect drifts of either snow or Russian thistle (tumbleweeds) - or both - in the morning.

I gotta tell y' that I (a retired Prof. of Veterinary Pathology) had a delightful day. I was invited to present some lectures to the first-year class of Pre-Vet students at SD State U. in Brookings, about 30 miles south of Estelline where we live. I certainly have never forgotten that I really liked teaching, but I'd forgotten a bit how incredibly and truly fulfilling, invigorating, and inspiring the experience can be!

A good night t'ye all-
Dave

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
uuglypher said:
What are some of your favorite malts, Bob ? I've been favoring, savoring, and collecting them for over 30 years and on numerous trips to Scotland.

I've never had a malt whiskey in my life, I'm a beer drinker. But I'm game to try your choice with you.