Eastern Hognose?

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I was hiking on the Batona trail between Carranza and Apple Pie Hill and found this snake sunning himself in the middle of the trail. When I approached he puffed up and hissed, and after a little bit of trying to impress me, he went on his way (but not before I was able to take his picture). The picture was taken just as he began to turn and make his exit.

I'd never seen a snake like him before, but after some research, I believe it may have been an Eastern hognose. Some of the posts on here mention hognoses are rare, so I thought I'd post the picture and see if anyone with more knowledge on snakes than I possess could render an opinion.

He was a nice looking snake, and whatever species he turns out to be, it was an excellent bonus to a find him.

Thanks.

Attachments

• HognoseLD.jpg
    HognoseLD.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 240

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
A great find! Congrats, and it was nice you did not give a more detailed location. Very nice!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
I also came across a black snake about 3 feet long somewhere in the pines today,saturday,that crossed the road in front of my car,and went into a pool of water.Sorry i cannot give a better description of the snake,he was moving real fast.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
Thanks for confirming it was Heterodon platirhinos (the Latin name “broadnose” seems a little more dignified than “hognose”).

Very cool snake; I’m glad I had my eight year old son along for the hike. I have to admit, it put on a very convincing aggressive display; my son and I both were a little taken aback by it. Now we're laughing that we fell for it. Amazing after all that fuss that the next step would be to roll over and play dead.

Thanks again!

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
great find! hognose snake are certainly not the most common snake in the pine barrens, or anywhere for that matter. i've only ever found one, last year. seems like the snakes are really starting to move.