Eastern tiger salamander

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Dogg,
Found "almost exclusively in Cape May county".....have you or any others here ever seen one elsewhere in the pines? Not asking where, just curious if they are indeed present.

turtle

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Cool project, glad the state is doing this for a species that very easily adapts to man made pools. There are probably lots of tiger salamanders in the ground there are just very few real good pools that retain water deep enough for breeding. Digging pools deeper and digging new pools is critical in my opinion. New populations of these salamanders are found each year. I discovered a pretty massive one not on the states radar three years back and reported it to Dave G. and Kathy Clark, it could be one of the biggest sites in the state and sits on private land where development is a real threat.:( Four years ago Kloucks on this site reported a tiger breeding site that the state didn't seem to know about, however he had been finding tigers for years there. At that particular site the breeding pool hasn't been found but little salamanders continue to surface.
IMG_9869.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Dragon,

You should make that photo or a similar one your Avatar. Nice!

I hope you don't mind but I actually made it for you if you want it. I won't post it in the event you don't want it used.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Alfie and I were examining some of the vernal waters near the Cape May County border this evening (we were actually in Cumberland County); several tiger salamander larvae were spotted. Here's a very so-so photo of one (center left) among many tadpoles.

IMG_8097.jpg

Reactions: glowordz and dogg57

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Hey Guy just seeing your post, feel free to make my avatar that, I'm a bit computer challenged at times.

Also in regards to the title of that article its a bit over top, tiger salamanders in my opinion are by no means disappearing.

Whip, nice larvae there I have to stop by that site sometime been on my list of places to go, and I need to stop by that cc pbtf spot soon, my favorite.