Eclipse Viewing

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I got this from the paddle shack in MAys Landing....sounds cool. I may attend.

Total Eclipse Of The Moon Paddle: Saturday March 3rd
This is the only opportunity this year to view a total lunar eclipse from the East coast...so don't miss it!

Timing is almost perfect. Sunset is 5:53 EST; Moon rise is 5:47. The eclipse will already have started at that time. Totality will last until 6:58. Time of maximum eclipse is 6:20. The moon will leave the umbra at 8:11. This is an early occurrence...which will allow us to get in a very easy observance paddle/float and still return at a reasonable hour.

Anticipated launch site is the tiny sandy beach at Jeffers Landing (39*19.0856' N, 74*39.1064' W) at about 5:20 PM.
From Mays Landing-Somers Point Road (39*20.1056' N, 74*386143' W), go south on Jeffers Landing Road approx 1.25 miles to small sandy beach between two houses.
Parking is across the street in/along the reeds. NOT in front of the adjacent houses.

Remember this is private property that we enjoy using. NO loud noise; quiet courtesy is essential.

Paddle destination will be the open area of tidal portion of The Great Egg Harbor River just north and east of the launch site, an easy paddle with plenty of space to drift while observing. Dress accordingly-the water is still very cold at this time...wet or drysuits are recommended. Paddlers should be familiar with self and assisted rescue techniques, be comfortable paddling in the dark, and have sufficient paddling skills to remain safe. This is not a difficult paddle, but it is also not a beginners paddle. Waterproof white light (all around or flashlight) keeps you legal for rules of the road. Let us know if you plan to join us: info@paddleshack.com .

Read my article on our last total lunar eclipse paddle.

See you on the water,
George
Paddle Shack
Best Little Paddle Shack in South Jersey !
5045 Mays Landing Road
Mays Landing, NJ 08330
www.paddleshack.com
609-909-5250

Joe1999

Scout
Jan 21, 2007
Hope the weather is good. Heard were supposed to get snow showers/rain. Maybe itll hold off until later in the night.