Educating young'uns

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I do believe kids need to be taught to read,write and basic math,beyond that the woods can teach em the rest,definitely more worth knowing then the city can.Am I biased?

In the article it states the authors son's learned all that on their own. Our 'education' system has morphed into nothing but a political indoctrination system. Amazing to me that parents would allow their kids to be drugged to keep them in 'school'. It's big business, especially college and universities. I felt it was a big waste of time and dropped out, saved my folks a ton of money; one of the best decisions I ever made. Went to a store front technical school in Newark; the rest is history :D

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I don't remember actually learning but know I learned between first and third grades.I always loved it and so got very good at it fast.Made me the best speller in class but I never picked up the punctuation and grammar:)Really wish I learned to type with more fingers then two.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Made me the best speller in class but I never picked up the punctuation and grammar:)Really wish I learned to type with more fingers then two.

I liked spelling, more of a game to me. When we had the place up north near Lake Placid I came across the works of Melvil Dewey and his advocacy of spelling reform. Made complete sense to me. There is the Adirondak Loj there run by the Adirondack Mt Club that uses the reform method; the menu is something to behold and titled 'Simpler Spelin', all the items on the menu are in reform spelin :) One of his quotes from the Loj wall; "All shud see the butiful after-glo on mountains to the east just befor sunset. Fyn vu from Golfhous porch." He also formed the Lake Placid Club with very exclusionary membership rules. We almost bought a place in a town called Swastika near there, wife wanted no part of it, but she didn't understand the true meaning, or didn't want to. The place used to be an old one room school house and the barn was full of treasure and the asking price was cheap. Still regret not doing that.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So Thats what my Dad uses!"Simpler Spelin"! I definitely took after Mom in the Spelling class.Dads letters are a wonder to behold.By the way what does Swastika really mean.Whatever it means Hitler did a number on it's reputation.I know many don't like the Rebel Flag but for me it's a symbol of every Americans right to tell the Federal Government to "Piss Off" once in awhile. Ashame it came to be associated with slavery,come to think of it originally weren't both sides guilty of that????:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
By the way what does Swastika really mean.Whatever it means Hitler did a number on it's reputation.I know many don't like the Rebel Flag but for me it's a symbol of every Americans right to tell the Federal Government to "Piss Off" once in awhile. Ashame it came to be associated with slavery,come to think of it originally weren't both sides guilty of that????:)

I did some research when we were considering the property. The swastika has been used since ancient Greek times; in Europe, Asia and by our Native Americans. The earliest use of it was in the Ukraine and Bulgaria; about 6,000-10,000 BC. It has meant different things to different folks, it comes from the Sanskrit svastika; but some of the meanings are; good luck, peace, life, power, etc. Wikipedia has a lot of info on it.

Yep, both sides were, including Presidents.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I do believe kids need to be taught to read,write and basic math,beyond that the woods can teach em the rest,definitely more worth knowing then the city can.Am I biased?

I can say in all honesty that if the kids of today knew what you knew Al they would all be better off. Period!

Guy

Reactions: manumuskin

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
The father in me and the teacher in me both want to add an 'and' not a 'but...'

For my kids, I give them both. I give them a lot of experiences outdoors and I believe will tie in to their education later in school. Science, critical thinking, math, measurement, making observations, all of it hands on.

For my students, I don't teach them what to think, I try to teach them how (critically and based on research).

Hopefully in the end I can rest easy that I did right by both.