Elias Wright program

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Hi all,
I think this may be the program that Betsy offered at the Pinelands Short Course. Guy, Jess and myself were there. Quite interesting and would be a nice evening event after a day spent in the woods.
Enjoy!

Bass River State Forest

762 Stage Road
Mailing address: Tuckerton, NJ 08087
Physical address: Bass River Twp., NJ 08224
EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT For Immediate Release
(609) 296-1114

Presentation on General Elias Wright, Surveyor Extraordinaire
of the New Jersey Pine Barrens on July 14th at Bass River State Forest
Bass River Twp. – On Saturday, July 14th at 8:00 p.m. local historian, Betsy Carpenter, will present the story of General Elias Wright, a Civil War hero who played a critical role in shaping today’s Pinelands. This free program will be at the Lake Absegami Beach Breezeway in Bass River State Forest.

General Wright served as surveyor and land agent for both Stephen Colwell at Weymouth Furnace and Joseph Wharton at nearby Batsto. Discover how General Wright’s attention to detail was essential in protecting this region’s 17 trillion gallon Cohansey aquifer. Learn how New Jersey legislators foiled a plan to pipe Pinelands water to Philadelphia.

We suggest you bring insect repellent, a flashlight and something to sit on.

For a 2012 summer event schedule or for more information please contact the Forest Office at (609) 296-1114.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had my doubts about how that presentation was going to turn out, but in the end I was glad I went. I felt the historical information and her presentation were quite good. It certainly is a presentation I recommend. However, if it is the same presentation, there will not be much information on his surveying the pines. It is more about his life which I suspect most people would be more interested in.

Guy