Ellis Adams site/ Calico, Harrisville

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
Today I found what I'm almost certain is the Ellis Adams farmhouse site. Ever since I bought the book, Heart of the Pines, the location of the site has been right under my nose. John Pearce, in the chapter about Martha shows a small portion of the USGS Survey map that covers Martha and vicinity. He has lines drawn showing where the Ellis Adams tract is. It's on the Oswego Road, a little past the turn-off of the Calico-Warren Grove Road, and it's on the right. I drove up there today and kept track of my odometer readings. So from the turn-off at Martha Furnace (right turn) it's .6 of a mile to the Calico-Warren Grove Road (turn left). Then another .3 of a mile to where you turn right onto the Oswego Road. Then another .3 of a mile to the Ellis Adams farmhouse site on the right. You park and walk uphill. From the road you can see it looks like it was a field. When you go up there you'll see a severely damaged Catalpa tree just behind the cellar hole. And to the right of it there's a pile of stones. John Pearce is in my group on Yahoo and says that the site IS on the Oswego Road. That's the only place on Oswego Road anywhere near there that could be it. Everything fits, so it must be the place. I took pictures too.

Today I also found the cellar holes of the 2 mansions at Harrisville and possibly that of the grist mill. They're between the two mill races, which are between the Harrisville pond and the Harrisville-Martha Road. There are tons of messed up Catalpa and other non-native trees on the site, with lots of grass and a couple of large pines. I also tried to find the site of the school/church, but only found some more Catalpas and grass with no foundation or cellar hole. Don't know if that was it or not. It's supposed to be north of the mill races on the lake shore. On the other side of 679 I went down the road to Bodine Field Campsite and found at least 5 or 6 cellar holes along that road and got pictures of a couple. The only thing left that I'd like to find at Harrisville is the remains of the grove of Mulberry trees, from when they tried silk production at Harrisville. I don't know if there would be anything left or not.