Emerald Ash Borer

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I am very sorry to hear they have found NJ. They are epidemic in Michigan and have virtually wiped out all ash trees in our area, including five very large ones on my property that we now have to cut down. It is devastating and fast. It takes two years for a tree to go from vital and healthy to completely dead.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Haven't heard much about the Southern Pine beetles recently. During the winter, it was suggested that the prolonged cold temperatures would kill many of them.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Boyd
The state has wiped out several thousand acres of pine oak woods over here in Bevan this past year.Took out a mile of trail that was a favorite walk of me and my wife.It's a desert now.I guess this is how they save the forest from the beetles,cut it down????They then chipped it up.They just took out another few hundred acres (Millville city) adjacent to bevan to build another loud track across Buckshutem from the other earsore they created a few years ago.This is a dirt bike track and it now looks like a desert.they also fenced off one of the nicest Baileytown cellar holes the old Barthlomew place.Oh Joy! More noise!Thats was a damn nice fawning ground.Lot of laurel and often in June I"d spook does in the area and with some searching I would often get a pic if I had a camera of a curled up fawn.I really love the south Jersey woods but I"m thinking it's gettin time for me to leave.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Al,

I am also very skeptical about the way the state destroys the forest in order to save the forest. Seems like we should just let nature take its course, we usually mess things up when we try to intervene. And a cold winter probably helps more than all the money they spend on this program.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Exactly.If they kill the trees then the woodpeckers will have a field day,in the meantime the open canopy will allow the shrub layer to take off and succession will eventually take care of the damage.They have basically created a desert.yes it will recuperate but not nearly as quickly as if let alone.I saw no damage before they did this.There was no noticeable infestation or abnormal amounts of dead trees.Looked like a healthy forest to me.One of the few Piney areas near my house.It's a desert now.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I wonder if they make a buck off the mulch piles they shred them into.Might be good for paper pulp?

I wonder if they treat it with anything, there has to be eggs in it.

That's it!!!! The guvmint is spreading the beetles so's their tree cuttin' payola buddies can make bazillions cutting them down!!

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I seen those things while in the UP several years ago. A very pretty insect. We don't have a lot of ash trees in the Barrens.I think their going to go hungry.Now on the other hand the Pine bark beetle is living large.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I seen those things while in the UP several years ago. A very pretty insect. We don't have a lot of ash trees in the Barrens.I think their going to go hungry.Now on the other hand the Pine bark beetle is living large.

Did you notice where these invasives are coming from? And folks are worried about ISIS :rolleyes: Seems the bugs are worse.

"Isis was worshipped as the ideal mother and wife as well as the patroness of nature and magic. She was the friend of slaves, sinners, artisans and the downtrodden, but she also listened to the prayers of the wealthy, maidens, aristocrats and rulers. Isis is often depicted as the mother of Horus, the falcon-headed deity associated with king and kingship. Isis is also known as protector of the dead and goddess of children."