Episode 73-Pinelands Flora with Bernie Isaacson

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The first of three podcast from the DEP on the Flora of the pinelands.

The Discover DEP team is embarking on a three-part series focusing on the Pine Barrens. The Pine Barrens is a unique part of New Jersey’s landscape. From pygmy pines to “ghost forests,” the flora of the Pine Barrens has an interesting story to tell. Bernie Isaacson, Assistant Regional Forester, sits down with Bob Bostock to kick off this three-part series to give a forester’s assessment of the Pine Barrens, discussing the plants supported by the ecology of the area as well as the challenges that this region faces.

Stay tuned for the next two episodes in this series about the Pine Barrens, which will explain more about the animals and history of this area.

http://njdep.podbean.com/e/pinelands-flora/

If you have an iPhone you can get the podcast directly by going into the Podcast app and searching "discover dep." Then download Episode 73.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Episode 74 is out. Pinelands Fauna.
In episode 74, John Heilferty makes an interesting point. The Pine Barrens are a fire managed ecology. In the past fires burned very hot resulting in areas of open canopy which favored basking snakes. Because fires are now prevented or quickly extinguished, corn snakes and pine snakes no longer have the warm sun available to them, and as a result, (at least in part), are now threatened.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I only have time to listen to them while driving to the pines which I will do in the next few days. So as of now I have not heard them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I listed to them both yesterday on my way to the barrens. My only complaint was the poor acoustics. In the beginning of each one there is an announcer who talks about the podcasts and the quality is perfect. However, once the host and the guest start speaking the poor acoustics of the room become evident. I don't hear well as it is so I had to turn the volume up to not miss anything.

Reactions: manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
75 is not yet available in the podcast app on my iPhone. Edit: just showed up.