etrex interface cable

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I picked up a cable for my etrex. I used the owner's manual to find the correct one. I have not taken it out of the box because I want to make sure I can do what I want to do with this particular cable. It does not appear to fit my Dell laptop. The cable has a female connection and there is nothing on my laptop that will fit it. It does look like it will fit on a PC so I can use it on another computer in my home. I was expecting it to have a USB connector but it does not. It is a Garmin cable. I have a couple questions for the tech savvy folks on this site:

Do I need software in addition to the cable to put maps into my etrex?

Guy- Will I be able to put the PBX maps into the etrex?

I will eventually upgrade to a GPS w/ maps in it but I want to try to get a few more years out it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

You need drivers for the cable. Did it come with software?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tom,

Does your etrex have the connector that when you pull up the plastic flap on the back there are four round connectors? Or does it have a connector like the back of a printer?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Does your cable look somewhat like this with the connector on the left hooking to your GPS?

1.jpg

If so, and that is all you have, you need this one also to connect to your computer using USB if you don’t have a serial connector.

2.jpg

And as I said you will need software. If you can get your cable to connect to both units, you can download various drivers and try them. I am not sure which one works with the Garmin cable since mine is not Garmin. But you can try various drivers by downloading them to see which ones work.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can send you a GPX file to test if you believe you have the correct cable.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
The old Garmin GPS'es had a serial interface, which is an antique by today's standards. PC's made during the past few years generally don't have serial ports, so as Guy has indicated you will need a USB to serial adaptor and software for your PC.

Can you return the cable that you bought for a refund? If so you might consider doing this and upgrading to a new GPS now instead of later. Otherwise you're probably going to be spending more money on the cable and adaptor than the GPS itself is worth. IMO that money would be better spent on a new unit (even a basic one) which has a USB interface. The new GPSes with SiRF chips are much, much better at getting a signal out in the woods. Just some food for thought...

If your etrex doesn't support mapping then there will be no way to "put maps in it". However you may be able to upload and download tracks, which are the lines that show where you've been. They won't be displayed on a map however.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Does your cable look somewhat like this with the connector on the left hooking to your GPS?

1.jpg

If so, and that is all you have, you need this one also to connect to your computer using USB if you don’t have a serial connector.

2.jpg

And as I said you will need software. If you can get your cable to connect to both units, you can download various drivers and try them. I am not sure which one works with the Garmin cable since mine is not Garmin. But you can try various drivers by downloading them to see which ones work.

Guy

Yes the first picture is essentially what I have. My wife bought it for me for a gift. I think I may return it.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Guy and Boyd- Thanks a lot for the info. I have found it tough to get a signal on our hikes with the etrex in dense forest and when the sky is cloudy it performs terrible. Damn!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes the first picture is essentially what I have. My wife bought it for me for a gift. I think I may return it.

I would if your computer does not have a serial adaptor. I believe this is what you need if you have the 4 pin connector on the back of your etrex.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...39&ih=021&category=58044&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I have never viewed one like that before, but it has the USB and the conector that fits my etrex. And take notice it comes with a mini CD. So you need a computer that will accept the small CD's that fit in the little cutout area in the CD drawer. I had one at one time and took the drivers off the little CD and burned them on a large CD. If yours does not accept the little CD find a computer that does and do the same.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Good find Guy! If that cable actually works then it's certainly a good value. To upgrade to a GPS with better reception I think you would need to get the Legend HCX:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205690296&sr=8-6

There's also the Venture HC for a little less, but I don't know much about that model:

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-...3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1205690543&sr=8-3

I guess that's still a pretty big spread between the cost of the cable and the new unit, I was thinking that a cable plus USB adaptor would be more expensive.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I would if your computer does not have a serial adaptor. I believe this is what you need if you have the 4 pin connector on the back of your etrex.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...39&ih=021&category=58044&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

I have never viewed one like that before, but it has the USB and the conector that fits my etrex. And take notice it comes with a mini CD. So you need a computer that will accept the small CD's that fit in the little cutout area in the CD drawer. I had one at one time and took the drivers off the little CD and burned them on a large CD. If yours does not accept the little CD find a computer that does and do the same.

Guy

Ok I have some options now. How would I be able to tell if a computer accepts small CDs? I have a dell inspiron 1520 and my wife has a newer Dell PC. Thanks again for the research Guy!
Tom

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ok I have some options now. How would I be able to tell if a computer accepts small CDs? I have a dell inspiron 1520 and my wife has a newer Dell PC. Thanks again for the research Guy!
Tom

I just checked and my external CD drive accepts them. So if you have the small indention that the arrows point to, you will be able to read the CD. And if you don't still buy it if you want and we can meet up and I will burn it for you to a CD. I go past your area all the time and we could meet along the pike.

IMG_0681.jpg

Boyd, I was surprised to find that. I had never known about them before. It is a good buy for Tom if he wants to wait.

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Guy,
When I get home tonight I will check the PC. My laptop doesn't look like it will accept the CD. If it will accept the small disc I'm gonna go for that one on ebay. I'll let you know
Tom

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Guy, aka "no stone unturned", the answer man:)

The connector you found has a 30 day money back guarantee so I think I should go for it. I'll let you know how I make out. Hopefully I will be in business by the 29th. I'm pretty sure the small disc will fit on my wife's computer, but it may be beneficial to download to my laptop.
Tom