Exploring Deep In the Forked River Mountain Area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I took the day off from work and met up with bobpbx to search out early Arethusa and other things in the Forked River Mountain area. We began our day finding this den which seems to be still in use. If it wasn't so hard to get to I would set my camera up there for all of us to see what transpires.

IMG_2943.JPG

The second Garder Snake in two weeks that I almost stepped on.

IMG_2946.JPG

It looks like in a few weeks we are going to have a bumper crop of Bog Asphodel as we found it growing quite well everywhere that it should be. Here is an early specimen.

IMG_2948.JPG

Bob considers himself an acrobat and today he pretty much proved that he is. I was hoping to have a much more interesting photo to show you but that was not to be ;)

IMG_2958.JPG

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2962.JPG

And then it showed up in a nice remote spot where the perfect weather, water and soil gave us the first view this year. Very nice!

Arethusa bulbosa

IMG_2963.JPG

Towards the end of our plant searching.

IMG_2966.JPG

It would not be an outing without searching for a few stones. Unfortunately we did not find any but we did find a few remote monuments on the corners of state property. This one was quite remote.

IMG_2968.JPG

And here is another video of why you should be extremly careful while searching for plants in remote swamps. Bob and I both went in a little too deep today.

Guy

Tanton

Apr 25, 2010
Your Green Heron photo reminded me of a few visitors to my back yard a few years ago.

P1000077.jpg

Quadruplets.

OK, let me try a video. I'll probably need some help with this.....

The all fidget together, preen together, and sit completely still together...

and if you skip to the 5 minute mark, watch what grabs their attention.