Exploring The Plains Branch

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Bob, Scott, and myself (Bobpbx, RedneKF350, TeeGate) headed out today to explore a portion of the Plains Branch that we have never explored before. Our goal was to check out a few spung's and wetland area's looking for evidence of plants and anything else we could find. Our first stop was a large wetland area that was loaded with bog Asphodel which we will check out again in the summer.

IMG_8655a.jpg

Bob and Scott.

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8659.JPG

This area along the Plains Branch was very heavily logged back in the 30s and 40s and the evidence is everywhere. Here is an old log bridge that has been there for over 80 years right below the water lever along the stream. You can see on the far side of the bridge that the logs that were horizontally across the bridge are almost gone.

IMG_8664.JPG

Corduroy roads were everywhere and they were intense. By that I mean it was extremely hard to walk on them because they were rotting severely and we were constantly crashing through them. It is hard to imagine that 80 years ago they would hold the weight of a vehicle loaded with wood.

IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8669.JPG

IMG_8670.JPG

In the distance we saw some healthy and large deer in front of us on a path.

IMG_8679.JPG

And we also found a property stone that had been removed from the ground at a property corner. There was evidence there that this was a property stone for sure.

IMG_8682.JPG

And finally, if you have traveled down the red road (Stephenson Road) in recent days you would have noticed this recent addition along the road.

IMG_8686.JPG

IMG_8687.JPG

The road this sign is located on leads back to the ruins of an old gun club that we have discussed a few times on this site.

The sign is here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.77899121123839&lng=-74.40426349639893&z=16&type=h&gpx=

And the ruins of the gun club is here.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.78303129238253&lng=-74.389328956604&z=16&type=h&gpx=

With the restrictions they put on the use of the land in that area it was hard to imagine what activities could go on back there. Having fire certainly could not be allowed because there is basically only one way out and the dangers of a forest fire would make the liability unbelievably high. So upon arriving home I discovered this.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loc...cle_180dd305-8bc6-56fc-baea-9643495adf10.html

I would like to hear your opinion of the Scouts using this area. It appears that fire will not be allowed.

Guy

Reactions: glowordz

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had a great time today with Bob and Guy in some deep, deep woods that I rarely have opportunity to visit.
These woods areas are truly at the heart of the pines and you will never hear anything except your own breath and the whisper of the pines when you are back there.

The corduroy roads were awesome and had mature white cedar rooted within the rotted crossmembers. Some were substantial roads with 3 runs of longitudinal cedar log bracing beneath the normal transverse logs. Walking on them was like walking on eggs as they would give way without warning.

I love being in the woods at any time of year but I especially love the winter with the crystal clear cobalt skies and the crisp air.

Thanks for the adventure boys.

A few pics:

One of the savannahs with the cedar shade cast across the grass.
img_1234.jpg

Something we haven't seen much of this year. Ice on a spung.
img_1236.jpg

A lonely old road through a majestic cedar swamp.
img_1241.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Another great day with the boys! We're gonna do it again soon. Sunshine, clean air, and nature. Not to be beat!

The big spung was loaded with Muhlenbergia torreyana in addition to the bog asphodel. Also called New Jersey Muhly.
IMG_6640_1RS.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Scott in the corner of the spung
IMG_6642_1RS.jpg

The far side with cedar swamp. Beautiful.
IMG_6645RS.jpg

Giant Grass. Likely Sorghastrum nutans
IMG_6649_1RS.jpg

Guy enjoys his time in the deep cedar swamp. No sound could be heard but the wind in the trees. Just the way we likes it.
IMG_6655_1RS.jpg

The Plains Branch was running strong and full.
IMG_6656_1RS.jpg

Another perspective of one of the 3 big deer we saw. Scott was frozen in place.
IMG_6659RS.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo's gentlemen! I really enjoy our outings and this one was no exception. Thank you for a fine day.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy
Can i still drive that tight road back toward the boy scout camp (love shack) to the county line? I like to drive back to the county line and walk the trail that follows it thru the plains.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy
Can i still drive that tight road back toward the boy scout camp (love shack) to the county line? I like to drive back to the county line and walk the trail that follows it thru the plains.
Al

It is tight still. But be careful because there may be Boy Scouts there now.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I would like to hear your opinion of the Scouts using this area. It appears that fire will not be allowed.

Given the ruggedness and remoteness of the Plains, I think it will certainly make for a tougher breed of Scout.
If they ever get lost out there and they survive it, they can go right into the Navy Seals or Green Berets.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good one Scott!

Guy, I mentioned to you that they should not allow the scouts to have fire back there, but only for their own safety, since we need hot fires to maintain the plains. But, did you see anything in the article wherein they won't allow them to have fires?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
That ruin where their camp is to be has "The Love Shack" emblazoned on it.Will they explain this title to the scouts?
I personally love pine plains but really love them when their about eight to ten feet tall and almost impenetrable.Now a Sasquatch could hide very efficiently in country like that but how could he even move,I barely can.Once you get back in there you know you are alone.Who else would beat through crap like that but a PBX member?I was concerned wether I was still allowed to drive back there.I wouldn't think they would own the road as well though the sign gives that impression.Nothing like attracting attention to your camp to help promote vandalism.I'd of put the sign back where my property began.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would like to see that survey. And if you think about it Al they may have done one recently because of the gift to the Scouts, so looking for that stone you came up with may be easier to find now.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I am counting on someone to figure out the 163 acre site (Al or Guy).....because I'd be awful nervous to see that pine snake and crowberry ridge camped and tramped upon.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would be guessing at this, but Al came up with some info a while back that makes me believe that the 163 acres does not reach to the point where you are thinking of.

Remember where that road hits the stream just before we take the turn to the gun club? On one hike you and I headed into the swamp right at that point and I found the snake. Well, Al came up with some very convincing evidence that there is a stone not far from the road at that point. I believe, but am guessing that the property line ends there. This puts it far from where you are thinking.

I have been very frustrated in my attempts to acquire info in that area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Plus, I doubt that they own it because the evidence tells us that someone has been working to make that site better.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
With any luck they'll torch the crowberry and smoke out them nasty snakes !
:D

Those are fighting words. You can bet the next hike you are on will be 10x as hard as this last one. Bob takes no prisoners when it comes to his plants and snakes. You better take that back!!

Guy