Exploring The Recent Burn

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I have been in Vermont since right after the fire and have not been able to get out there until today. I spent last evening looking over fire photos to decide the best place to explore until I can get out again next weekend. We picked an area we have been at many times before and went with it.

Electronics don't do well in a fire. We did not find any of the plastic except what you see.

IMG_0021a.jpg

Jessica fell and struggled to get up.

IMG_0018a.jpg

By fall it will be hard to see again.

IMG_0017a.jpg

My kind of view.

IMG_0023a.jpg

This was a real surprise. Jessica noticed this and thought it was a well. I am uncertain what it is. It is plastic which has melted but the bottom and some of the bottom sides are intact.Some of it appears to be stone. It appears it may have been covered in plastic as well. I am thinking maybe a hunter used it or someone was catching snakes in it.

Watch the video below the photo to see more and give opinions.

IMG_0024a.jpg

Click Here To Watch The Video

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We went back again today to one of the fire area's and spent the morning exploring. Traveled about 3.02 miles.

A couple of the small ponds we visited a few years ago and went back again today.

IMG_0071a.jpg

Always nice to find these. This one is older.

IMG_0070a.jpg

IMG_0062a.jpg

We saw movement. It is really small.

IMG_0060a.jpg

IMG_0072a.jpg

IMG_0074a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was out again this morning. Walked another 3 miles and hit some area's we missed the last few times and found others for another day in the future.

Very quiet this morning. No breeze at all early on but picked up slightly towards the end.

IMG_0098a.jpg

We had crossed a wet area early in the morning to get to another upland. On the way back we crossed the same spot and as I went downhill Jessica was behind me yelling I had stepped on a snake. I don't think I did but it was annoyed. After looking at the photos I can see why. It is shedding. Look at the eyes.

Water snake I believe. Click the link below the photo to see a video.

IMG_0101a 2.jpg

Click Here To See A Video Of The Snake

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
At it again today. Moved to another area and found this old car seat. I suspect it was a hunter and it had been in the tree nearby that now is down.

IMG_0135a.jpg

Snake skin. I suspect a corn snake but don't really know.

IMG_0137a.jpg

Later we drove on the road from Batona Camp to the Bordentown Gun Club and came upon a Tesla parked on the burn side. It was closer to Bordentown and the tracks came from Batona Camp. That road is really sandy anymore so they did quite well. Unless they came in from Bordentown and turned around. Anyway, what was interesting is there were two woman and a man there and one of the woman had a hazmat suit on up to her neck. That actually is a good idea if you don't want to get bugs. I think they were collecting mushrooms but am not sure. The man had a bucket and was coming out of the woods as if he was concerned we would stop.

Soon after we passed a truck with older men in it. That is about right because I again suspect the hunters are biting at the bit planning their season. On Sundays in August we always see them.

I have video of the hazmat. I will post a frame later and cut off her head. I like her idea.

Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We walked 4.1 miles today. There is so much to explore.

IMG_0146a.jpg

For years we have walked past a deep puddle that is finially dry this weekend. Found this in the bottom.

IMG_0145a.jpg

And we ran into member ecampbell from this site and PBX, and had a chat with him and his wife along Carranza. It was nice seeing Ed again. Learned a few things and will check into a few things he mentioned.

Reactions: John and dragoncjo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you noticed many of the main roads in Wharton are being fixed? Piles of dirt dumped in various locations like they do. Does anyone think they are getting the "good" roads in shape so when the others are closed they won't hear complaints that the "good" roads are not acceptable? Or is it just a general repairing of roads for the winter?

Anyway, was out today riding around and checked West Mill Road and it is still blocked. Also visited the Morning Glory site Jessica and I found and reported years back. The fire swept through but they are hanging tough.

DSC_6424a.jpg

DSC_6418a.jpg

Reactions: John and manumuskin