Eyesore

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'll be heading out this way in a day or so. Anyone know what this eyesore was?

1684009065587.png

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I remember going to elementary school iat Atco in the 70’s and the smell from there was so bad they wouldn’t let us outside and that was miles away.
I have always heard that they they dumped a lot of Kalo in Waterford off of the Old Pike but I was never able to confirm that with Hisoric Aerials..

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have always heard that they they dumped a lot of Kalo in Waterford off of the Old Pike but I was never able to confirm that with Hisoric Aerials..
I’ve never heard of that, but it wouldn’t surprise me. They dumped asbestos at Aerohaven Airport in Evesham.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I’ve never heard of that, but it wouldn’t surprise me. They dumped asbestos at Aerohaven Airport in Evesham.
I was told it was bewteen DeFalco's yard and running all the way down to Hendicks on the west side of the Old Pike. If you look at 1930 and 1940 there is a moonscape near Hendricks, working its way toward Ohio Ave. (formerly Dayton Ave)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
  • Haha
Reactions: Wick

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I was told it was bewteen DeFalco's yard and running all the way down to Hendicks on the west side of the Old Pike. If you look at 1930 and 1940 there is a moonscape near Hendricks, working its way toward Ohio Ave. (formerly Dayton Ave)
It’s funny you mention there. When I first read your post and without looking at any maps my first thought were they could have dumped off the OWHP wus in the vicinity of the old raceway.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I really don't know what Kalo is. I've searched but found nothing.

Edit: from Scott's link: "1947, Owens-Illinois converted the manufacturing operations to the production of hightemperature insulating materials under the brand name Kaylo®.

But apparantly (from the same article) it's from this: "Impacts to ground water extend offsite and are related to the historic use of DOWTHERM A™ (a heat transfer fluid). Impacts to soil are delineated and limited to the site...."DOWTHERM A™ constituents, 1,1-biphenyl and diphenyl ether."

Last edited: