FAA proposes to allow commercial drone use

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see nothing wrong with doing that except it has to be controlled. Imagine that hitting you on the head. Also, the person who gives the coordinates would have to have it perfectly accurate and make sure they don't give the coordinates of their actual house. I would think the company that sends the products would have to personally go out there and get the coordinates to protect themselves from a lawsuit.

Depending on what aerial photo you use on Google you could get the info from there. However, some of the years aerials are way off with the coordinates and using them would not be a good idea. In this video the fishing shacks are much safer I would think than going to a development.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
COOL.

We just got a drone and Joe is currently navigating the surprisingly steep learning curve. This video makes it look deceptively easy to fly them with a controller (rather than a pre-programmed flight). I guess that's the difference between the $2000 drone and the $10,000 drone.

He has made great progress and we already have some pretty slick footage of our property with ours. I can't wait to get to the pines with it. He used it today to peek in the window at me sitting in the living room.

I have to say the flight restrictions around airports are a bummer.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
That is no joke! I can fly the kite. I think I'll leave the drone to him though.

What drone footage would you guys like to see most of the pines? I would love suggestions.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Are you in NJ now?

Just be careful. If you fly over an Eagles nest or something like that someone may have issues.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
No, still living in Michigan, but we go back and are currently very overdue for a pines day or two.

No worries! We are pretty sensitive to wildlife--I don't want to a) upset any people or animals, or b) kill any bird that's defending its territory by prop strike! Gah. That would suck.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"d like to see a fly over of Tulpehocken Creek heading upstream from Hawkins Bridge or start at the bottom meadow.It's a couple miles up past all the meadows,don't know if He lets his drone wander that far?

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Fellow drone pilot here. I've also been filming around the pines. When it warms up a little more and we get some more green and I can get some more footage, I'll post it here.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
I"d like to see a fly over of Tulpehocken Creek heading upstream from Hawkins Bridge or start at the bottom meadow.It's a couple miles up past all the meadows,don't know if He lets his drone wander that far?

Thanks for the suggestion, I am not sure if the creek is open enough to follow, but we'll have a look on the map. I think it will be a while (or forever) until we can set the thing free and not watch it verrrrry carefully though. We have to follow it. At this point we need to keep in our line of sight.

SuperChooch, excellent! I will look forward to that very much. I only have footage of our place in Michigan to offer so far, but if we get anything decent of the pines, I'll share, too.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Really? Why do you say that. Sounds like a good thing to me.
The no fly zones are unreasonably large. We are not allowed to fly at all in the city of Kalamazoo, for instance. There are some things we'd like to get aerial shots of, but we aren't allowed. Drones are not typically flown high enough to interfere with aircraft unless you are right next to an approach. We flew ours to about 60m tonight and it was about as high as we ever want to get it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the suggestion, I am not sure if the creek is open enough to follow, but we'll have a look on the map. I think it will be a while (or forever) until we can set the thing free and not watch it verrrrry carefully though. We have to follow it. At this point we need to keep in our line of sight.

SuperChooch, excellent! I will look forward to that very much. I only have footage of our place in Michigan to offer so far, but if we get anything decent of the pines, I'll share, too.
You cannot follow the creek except by bushwacking and getting wet and muddy.Now there are some nice roads at friendship bogs nearby you can walk and no doubt get some nice footage bt the Tulpe is a swampers paradise only.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I too have interest in drones, and was peripherally involved with a project. Drones have great potential for scientific application. A colleague wanted to monitor permafrost dynamics for signs of global warming using drone-based laser altimetry to map seasonal fluctuations in the active layer of Alaska's North Slope, and considering test flights over the Pine Barrens. Local trepidation about drone use safety, security, and personal information gathering capabilities in part ended the project. These are very real issues of concern.

S-M

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I guess it will not be long before someone begins using Drones to track deer for hunting purposes, I hope that is at least banned.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If I see a drone while hunting I'm going to bag it. Probably taste like plastic chicken. :D

Maybe F&W will give us a drone season. :cool:

drone_hunting.gif