Faint Road from Staffordville to Woodmansie

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
This is kind of an oddball question I guess, and maybe there's some history to this.

I spend a lot of my free time just following old roads on Satellite photos, then on foot, and then back again on satellite photos. I've learned a lot over the years, and it seems the landscape is always changing, and has been through the centuries for one reason or another.

In my traveling around I stumbled upon an old diagonal road through Warren Grove. Following the road to either end, I was surprised it seemed to go all the way SE to near Staffordville before I lost it in the sand quarry. Following it in the other direction, it seemed to go all the way to the CNJ tracks between Woodmansie and Wheatland in the area of Pasadena. It is very faint in sections, and really only discernible from the slight difference in trees on either side. I have not physically walked any of this road, just followed it aerials.

It's not very often you see older roads this straight, especially when crossing swamps and creeks. Attached are some rough views with a line drawn next to the road. Was this some type of township boundary? Or could it have been something else?

Attachments

• Mystery Road - 1.PNG
    Mystery Road - 1.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 654
  • Mystery Road - 2.PNG
    Mystery Road - 2.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 622
  • Mystery Road - 3.PNG
    Mystery Road - 3.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 650
  • Mystery Road - 4.PNG
    Mystery Road - 4.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 454
  • Mystery Road - 5.PNG
    Mystery Road - 5.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 622

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Your suspicions are correct. Stafford Township line and Ocean County line. Guy will elaborate.

If you use google maps, type in the name of any township or county, and google will create the line for you to see. Especially useful in aerial view.

Reactions: Kevinhooa

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bob as usual is correct. That line from Bullock is the Ocean / Burlington County Line and the angled line towards the south is the Stafford Line. I would post some photo's and elaborate but I am reinstalling my drive and everything is in disarray.