Faster Comcast

Boyd said:
You can't "run it through" the computer. The router needs to connect directly to the cable modem.

Hmmm.......... My cable goes to the cable modem. From there LAN lines feed the router. My Linsky router does not have a place to connect the cable directly to it.

Steve

Edit: Some time when I feel like fighting the tangled mess I will check it out. You may be right and my computer may be connected to the router and not the modem. I just don't feel like messing with the spagetti right now. :D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That sounds mostly right. The cable itself goes into the modem. The ethernet port on the cable modem should connect to the WAN port on the router. Then one of the LAN ethernet ports on the router should connect to your computer.

Now you can get all-in-one units that include the cable modem, router, 4 ethernet LAN ports, and even a wireless gateway in the same box, but these are fairly new.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Your description of the connection is correct Boyd.

My cable comes directly into the modem, then to the router. From there it goes directly to my and my wife's computer. A third connection goes upstairs to a hub and from there it splits off into both of my daughters rooms.

I am able to download while my wife is having voice communications, and both of my daughters searching the Internet or doing whatever else they want to do at the same time. It works flawless. I did upgrade the firmware on my router once and that was a disaster. It constantly cut my wife off and then the connection would drop.

I was checking to see what the problem was at one point really not knowing if the firmware update was the problem. So I connected my wife's computer directly to the cable, bypassing the router, and within 5 minutes a message popped on her screen from some person who called himself something like "security man" and he was warning us that he was able to get into our computer and we should do something to secure it.

So anyone who connects directly to the Internet, and as Boyd said especially with non Mac computer, is crazy!!

Guy