Favorite/Coolest Place in the Pines

Barry_Timony

Feb 17, 2016
Forked River
I'm just wondering, guys...what is your favorite, or in your opinion the coolest, place in the Pine Barrens, and why? Mine would probably be Apple Pie Hill just because of the countless times I have been there and how incredible a sunset or sunrise can be from the top of the tower.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
There are so many special spots for me in the pines that I can't place one as an all time favorite. The time of year, who I am with and what is the focus of attention all play into the whats and whys. I could pin it down to two general areas though. Bass River and the plains because that is as wild a land that New Jersey has and the Batsto River corridor for the rare beauties that reveal themselves if you look long and hard.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As far as streams go the Wading is probably the most beautiful other then the Tulpehocken itself but the wading is more navigable but unfortunately it is much over used.The surroundings make it gorgeous but as far as the creek itself Cedar Creek can't be beat for the clarity of it's water.You can see the sand/gravel bottom over six feet down as clear as crystal.Also when I thought of cool spots i was thinking of up there in the barrens proper but thinking closer to home there is an area of woods down here I call Kirby's after the former owner who still resides on part of the property and it is a gorgeous if not moreso then any woods up there in the core area.The PBX hike I made up through manumuskin preserve ran through it.There is a drinkable fresh water spring and an open heather filles pine froest that can compete with any core area forest,even the occasional arrowhead gets kicked up since it's right along the navigable portion of Menantico creek.The only downside is it's within earshot of Route 55 but on a windy day you can barely hear the highway.

Barry_Timony

Feb 17, 2016
Forked River
Appreciate the replies guys. This just proves how much there is to love about the Pine Barrens. I have been through most of the places you guys describe but I have never heard of Tulpehocken? What exactly is Tulpehocken? A creek?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
Living in Florida and having limited physical abilities, my one place, well, actually a couple places, is Harrisville Pond and the old road that runs through to 563 and ends at the West Branch of the Wading River (forgive me if I have the river wrong). Even when I only have a few days home in Jersey, it's a must see for me. A related favorite is this site. It continues to keep me connected to the Pines. Keep up the great work everyone!

Reactions: Trailwalker

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Living in Florida and having limited physical abilities, my one place, well, actually a couple places, is Harrisville Pond and the old road that runs through to 563 and ends at the West Branch of the Wading River (forgive me if I have the river wrong). Even when I only have a few days home in Jersey, it's a must see for me. A related favorite is this site. It continues to keep me connected to the Pines. Keep up the great work everyone!
jburd would you be speaking of this old trail that the Batona trail now runs along?
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.67496621827828&lng=-74.53143138092042&z=16&type=nj2007&gpx=
Some of the lower Wading islands are visible at the above link.There also some of my favorite spots.many islands line the Wading all the way down to tidewater.Some you have to get wet feet to get to,others just a wade through thick brush where the water table is closer to the surface.Some call them dunes since that was their original condition.

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
That's the spot Al. I love to go back along that old canal that runs to the Wading on the other side of 563 and just sit there and listen to the Pines flow over that spillway/bridge from centuries ago. Harrisville is great too. most people don't understand the excitement of a hole in the ground from the old houses but that's okay. I don't always understand sitting on a beach day after day. The Pines are to me what the beach (shore) are to others.

h2ochild

Scout
Nov 24, 2010
Bass River Township
That diverter and the canal to the pond area, has also been one of my most favorite, easy to get to spots. Beautiful at all seasons. Took a couple of lawn bags worth of trash (bottles mostly) out of there a few weeks ago. Apparently getting to be a favorite spot for resting canoes and kayakers. The old Evans bridge ruins, Friendship bogs, and the headwaters of the Bass River branches, have to be my most favorites.

flash

Scout
Jul 25, 2009
Wow so many areas come to mind would be almost impossible to pick one as my favorite.
I recently have really come to enjoy the area around the bridge on Martha road where it crosses bucks run. It's another quiet area in the middle of nowhere where you can hear the water running from a decent distance