February Stone Searching in Cumberland County

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Thank Scott on the info on the .22 cal rifle, i thought only muzzle loader and shotgun were the only weapons that you could hunt with in N.J.

I use to own a 22 mag rifle, bolt action, clip fed with scope.

Jim

When I was a kid I would go ground hog hunting with my father, mostly at the farms of Columbus. My father grew up in Columbus and he knew the farmers who were more than happy to reduce the herd. We used a 22 rifle, and at that time a special varmint license was issued. The rule was that you could only use it for shooting ground dwelling varmints, so if you missed you would only hit the ground. That was 40 years ago, don't know if these rules still apply though.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
Thanks again guys for all the information and time explaining the snare traps in detail.

This site and its members continue to amaze me with the wealth of knowledge across so many areas of interest. While I don't have any one particular area of interest like many folks here, collectively everyones contribution has expanded my awareness to appreciate so many things I would have missed in the pines and in life!

Bill

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thank Scott on the info on the .22 cal rifle, i thought only muzzle loader and shotgun were the only weapons that you could hunt with in N.J.

I use to own a 22 mag rifle, bolt action, clip fed with scope.

Jim

Well I am might as well continue the hi-jack.

NJ Fish and Wildlife has the most unbelievable rules for legal weapons for groundhog that you could ever imagine.
You can hunt with any centerfire caliber under .25 with ANY weight bullet. Hollow points, soft tip and expanding bullets are all okay.
This includes such 1 1/2 mile+ lethal range calibers like .22-250 and .222.
You can use any centerfire caliber over .25, as long as your bullet weight is less than 100 grains.

About 15 years ago, they didn't have the bullet weight restriction and you could literally hunt with any deer rifle for groundhog.
A lot of outlaw types used the loophole to whack deer while under the guise of groundhog hunting.

Even now you could use a .30-06 with a light bullet. Bullet speeds approach 3500 feet per second out of an '06 with a light bullet.
The .17 bee centerfire will go 4000 fps.

One may also use a muzzleloader of any caliber and any bullet weight for groundhog too!
Nothing like a red mist after a clean shot!
You can still use the lowly .22 or if you like. I use a .22WMRF hollow point and it buckles them just fine.
All of these weapons are capable of killing at amazing distances.

We also have a muzzleloader squirrel season in February but that limits you to .36 caliber max.

Sadly I can't legally take my conventional .22 out with a 40 grain soft point and shoot squirrels.
Good ole New Jersey!
Always a step ahead in common sense.

Tall tales you say?
I say nay.
:)
Check out page 64 in the link below.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/pdf/2008/dighnt61-71.pdf

Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She has a serious bruise on the back of her leg. It is hard to even look at and not feel the pain. She fell on the ice once, and numerous times I had to pull her off the ground. She is seriously vertically challenged and she will be the first to admit it.

Guy

It was a brutal day for her. This is one of the many she has.

IMG_0891.jpg

Guy